The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Written statements included in minutes

Guest Dacia Rubel

I am a member of a local school board that recently voted to allow that a board member's written statement on an issue be attached to the minutes. A copy of this statement was not provided to the other board members in advance or even at the meeting. My question is whether the Board's actions in this instance are consistent with Robert's Rules?

I personally do not believe that just because a board member writes out his comments and reads them at a meeting, his statement should be treated any differently than a statement made orally by another member at that same meeting. I also think this is a bad precedent and will encourage others to read written statements at board meetings so that their statements will be included in the "official" meeting record.

Also, I am wondering if posting the approved minutes on the District website constitutes "publishing" for purposes of Roberts' Rules. While I understand that the minutes are to record what was done, not what was said, our minutes generally include some summaries/not transcripts of important board discussions. If posting constitutes "publishing," does this impact the analysis of my first question?

I am a member of a local school board that recently voted to allow that a board member's written statement on an issue be attached to the minutes. A copy of this statement was not provided to the other board members in advance or even at the meeting. My question is whether the Board's actions in this instance are consistent with Robert's Rules?

I personally do not believe that just because a board member writes out his comments and reads them at a meeting, his statement should be treated any differently than a statement made orally by another member at that same meeting. I also think this is a bad precedent and will encourage others to read written statements at board meetings so that their statements will be included in the "official" meeting record.

Also, I am wondering if posting the approved minutes on the District website constitutes "publishing" for purposes of Roberts' Rules. While I understand that the minutes are to record what was done, not what was said, our minutes generally include some summaries/not transcripts of important board discussions. If posting constitutes "publishing," does this impact the analysis of my first question?

According to your post, the board decided (voted) to include it in the minutes (or attach it). In order to hault that from becoming a trend, you will have to convince the board to stop doing this, and I support your effort to do so.

If the board voted to include the "written statement", that's proper.

If the board did that sight unseen - not actually having the statement written out before them when they voted for including it - shame on them! And shame on the chairman for not insisting that the document be available as part of the (presumed) motion: "To include the following statement in the minutes, or attached thereto..."

"Statements" are not automatically included in the minutes - perhaps after the board does include a few, by majority vote, they will see the foolishness of their ways and start following RONR's rule: "minutes contain what was done, not what was said", RONR, p. 468.

"Publication" means whatever you wish it to mean, both as to content and media. RONR/11 no longer, as opposed to the 10th ed., speaks of "publishing minutes", but publishing "proceedings", which can contain whatever the board wishes them to. Proceedings are not a substitute for minutes, and vice versa.

Archived