The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Nominations and Voting

Guest BruceF

See RONR (11th ed.), p. 286, and preceding pages.

Obviously, voting would need to be restarted if a new nominee was named. Something about this just strikes me as being improper at this point (after voting is complete) but I can't put my finger on any citation. Should I just stop looking? :huh::)

If, by chance, no new nominees are named (or are but declare an unwillingness to serve if elected), would you pick up with the cast votes and begin counting? Or by rolling back the process to the nomination phase, would voting need to be redone anyway?

Obviously, voting would need to be restarted if a new nominee was named. Something about this just strikes me as being improper at this point (after voting is complete) but I can't put my finger on any citation. Should I just stop looking? :huh::)

If, by chance, no new nominees are named (or are but declare an unwillingness to serve if elected), would you pick up with the cast votes and begin counting? Or by rolling back the process to the nomination phase, would voting need to be redone anyway?

Somehow, I read it as a question about "reopening the polls," probably because that makes since.

This question was asked of me and I had difficulty answering it. This didn't sound like proper procedure to me, but I could not find anything in RONR that prohibited it. My assumption was that originally, nominations had been properly closed. That is, everyone had been given ample opportunity to make nominations and, after voting took place, someone, as an afterthought, wanted to make an additional nomination.

I can visualize situations where one would want to reopen nominations after the voting had taken place and the ballots had been counted, such as no one achieved a majority and so no one was elected, or there were fewer people elected than there were positions to be filled.

This question was asked of me and I had difficulty answering it. This didn't sound like proper procedure to me, but I could not find anything in RONR that prohibited it. My assumption was that originally, nominations had been properly closed. That is, everyone had been given ample opportunity to make nominations and, after voting took place, someone, as an afterthought, wanted to make an additional nomination.

I can visualize situations where one would want to reopen nominations after the voting had taken place and the ballots had been counted, such as no one achieved a majority and so no one was elected, or there were fewer people elected than there were positions to be filled.

If the bylaws don't prohibit write-in candidates, there would be no need to reopen nominations, since, members are free to vote for any candidate.

If repeated balloting is necessary, it is in order to reopen nominations.

How can nominations be reopened and then closed after voting has occurred and before votes are counted?

The voting process, once begun, cannot be interrupted. The votes should be counted and the results announced.

If no one is elected it would then be in order to move to reopen nominations prior to a second (or subsequent) ballot. A majority vote would be sufficient to reopen nominations.

Archived