The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Vote on Adjournment

Guest Greenspeech

Is a vote required for adjournment even if the "adjournment" is listed on the agenda following necessary business and a motion to approve the agenda has carried previously? I've been told by some that the person presiding over the meeting can simply say "we're adjourned" without taking a vote in this instance.

Is a vote required for adjournment even if the "adjournment" is listed on the agenda following necessary business and a motion to approve the agenda has carried previously? I've been told by some that the person presiding over the meeting can simply say "we're adjourned" without taking a vote in this instance.

You've almost been told right. The chair announces that the time for adjournment has arrived and must allow for the making of certain motions and parliamentary steps before declaring the meeting adjourned.

See RONR (11th ed.), p. 374 & p. 240, l. 30 - p. 241, l. 15.

• 2 months later...

Is a vote required for adjournment even if the "adjournment" is listed on the agenda following necessary business and a motion to approve the agenda has carried previously?

No.

I've been told by some that the person presiding over the meeting can simply say "we're adjourned" without taking a vote in this instance.

Well, the chair should first ask if there is any new business, but yes, this is otherwise correct - although as Mr. Wynn notes, the chair should insert a brief pause into his announcement since there a few parliamentary steps which may be taken right up to the last minute.

I understood that if the business of the agenda was completed that the chair can announce that "the meeting is now adjourned". The key being that the business of the agenda was COMPLETED....therefore not needing a motion to adjourn.

This is correct, provided no member rises to make a motion under New Business. The adoption of an agenda does not preclude the introduction of New Business after the items on the agenda are completed. Additionally, as Mr. Wynn notes, certain parliamentary steps are in order all the way up to the last minute, so the chair should insert a brief pause in his announcement.

Is a vote required for adjournment even if the "adjournment" is listed on the agenda following necessary business and a motion to approve the agenda has carried previously?

No.

Mr. Martin is to be commended for reaching back nearly three months to answer Greenspeech's question.

Archived