The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Second Board Meeting

Guest Frank

Our associations Board of director's met at the designated time already once this month. The Chairman, called the Board and asked if all of us would be available for another meeting today. The first Board meeting was posted for the membership. However, there was no notice given for this meeting. My question is: What's the time frame the membership needs to be given? and is this a leagal meeting on such short notice? Thank you.

Our associations Board of director's met at the designated time already once this month. The Chairman, called the Board and asked if all of us would be available for another meeting today. The first Board meeting was posted for the membership. However, there was no notice given for this meeting. My question is: What's the time frame the membership needs to be given? and is this a leagal meeting on such short notice? Thank you.

Meetings of your board may only be called in accordance with the bylaws. Consult them for exact details. If they do not explicitly allow for calling of special meetings, then special meetings can't be called, and you will have to wait until your next regular meeting.

In the unlikely but conceivable event that your bylaws allow the chair to call the meeting but do not specify the notice period, the default requirement of 'reasonable' notice applies, and it will be up to your board to decide what constitutes reasonable notice. You should adopt rules - ideally by amending your bylaws - to make this clear in the future.

My question is: What's the time frame the membership needs to be given?.

And if, by "membership", you're referring to the general membership of the association (as opposed to the membership of the board) there is no requirement in RONR that general members be notified of board meetings. Of course your rules may say otherwise.

Thank you for yj87ysnour views. Our By-laws state the Board shall meet at least once monthly. We had our Board meeting aleady this month and the Chairman has called for another one this evening. I don't think it's right since a few Board members won't be able to attend on such short notice. We do have one important issue, and we should have an emergency boad meeting to discuss it, not discuss a full agenda. PLEASE ADVISE. thnak you.

Thank you for yj87ysnour views. Our By-laws state the Board shall meet at least once monthly. We had our Board meeting aleady this month and the Chairman has called for another one this evening. I don't think it's right since a few Board members won't be able to attend on such short notice. We do have one important issue, and we should have an emergency boad meeting to discuss it, not discuss a full agenda. PLEASE ADVISE. thnak you.

Umm, you did see the responses, yes?

RONR has no provision for "emergency" meetings, but does have provisions for "special" (i.e., not regularly scheduled) meetings. Such meetings can only be called at all if the bylaws specifically allow it and say who can call them, and even then can only discuss those matters that were described in the "call" (notice) of the meeting.

Phone calls are probably not a proper "call", especially on the same day. And I think you would have a good case to raise a point of order against the meeting's validity, except, perhaps, if all members were called and all members happened to be available to attend. That would seem to be a good case in favor of the time having been "reasonable", at least in this one instance. Certainly if one or more members were busy on such short notice, that would be, to me, clear and convincing proof that the advance timing was not reasonable.

But did the phone call specify the particular business to be considered? If not, no business at the meeting may be considered.

It will be up to your members to enforce your objections to the way this was handled with a Point of Order or two, possible followed by an Appeal (or two). Before doing that, check your bylaws carefully. If they say "at least" one meeting monthly, they may give the Chairman or others the power to call additional general business meetings that would be prohibited under RONR, and to call these meetings by phone with little or no notice, which would also be prohibited under RONR..

But there's no way for you to tell without reading the bylaws, and there's no way for us to tell at all.

[inserted text]

Archived