The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Vote taken in Executive Session

Guest Paul

I understand that a council can elect to go into Executive Session to discuss an issue and also vote on a motion regarding the issue in Executive Session.

If that motion and vote impacts the organization governed by the council, does the result of the vote need to be read in the general session and put in the general session meeting minutes.

I understand that a council can elect to go into Executive Session to discuss an issue and also vote on a motion regarding the issue in Executive Session.

If that motion and vote impacts the organization governed by the council, does the result of the vote need to be read in the general session and put in the general session meeting minutes.

RONR has no rule requiring what you're describing, and I can't determine if, by "general session," you mean the portion of the council meeting not held in executive session or if you mean a session of a parent body.

By "General Session" I mean the portion of the council meeting not in Executive Session.

The proceeding of an executive session are secret and remain secret until that secrecy is lifted. Whether you keep separate minutes for executive session or include its proceedings with the regular minutes, the proceedings are still to remain secret.

For executive session, see RONR (11th ed.), pp. 95-96.

Whether you keep separate minutes for executive session or include its proceedings with the regular minutes, the proceedings are still to remain secret.

So, if they mix the minutes in together (executive session with "general" session), and let's say the exec session happened in the middle, at the next meeting when they proceed to the approval of the minutes, they'll need to go into executive session at the point they arrive at that portion of the minutes, yes?

So, if they mix the minutes in together (executive session with "general" session), and let's say the exec session happened in the middle, at the next meeting when they proceed to the approval of the minutes, they'll need to go into executive session at the point they arrive at that portion of the minutes, yes?

Just do the whole approval in executive session. There's certainly NO rule that says minutes of proceedings that are NOT secret can NOT be approved in executive session.

There's certainly NO rule that says minutes of proceedings that are NOT secret can NOT be approved in executive session.

Oh, I realize that, but then those minutes (at the next meeting) also need to be approved in executive session, and so on, until and unless a meeting is held (in executive session) solely to approve the previous minutes to terminate the "loop." Just thinking of getting Guest_Paul out of that loop should the council so desire.

Oh, I realize that, but then those minutes (at the next meeting) also need to be approved in executive session, and so on, until and unless a meeting is held (in executive session) solely to approve the previous minutes to terminate the "loop." Just thinking of getting Guest_Paul out of that loop should the council so desire.

How do you figure? The minutes of the next meeting will just indicate that the minutes of the previous meeting were approved. There's no violation of secrecy in reading that to the world.

Archived