The Official RONR Q & A Forums

bylaws and roberts rules

Guest scott

We will be having an "impeachment" vote shortly. Our bylaws spell out the process. 2/3's vote of members present at meeting. The person beig impeached states e have to go by what roberts rules of order states about the process. The impeachers state that we have to go by our rules. Who is right?

The bylaws supersede the parliamentary authority (such as Robert's Rules).

'When a society or an assembly has adopted a particular parliamentary manual -- such as this book -- as its authority, the rules contained in that manual are binding upon it in all cases where they are not inconsistent with the bylaws...' (RONR 11th ed. p. 16 ll. 21-24)

We will be having an "impeachment" vote shortly. Our bylaws spell out the process. 2/3's vote of members present at meeting. The person beig impeached states e have to go by what roberts rules of order states about the process. The impeachers state that we have to go by our rules. Who is right?

Trina is. :)

Trina is. :)

Well, yes, of course. But ...

The "not inconsistent with the bylaws" wording caught my attention. I think attention should be paid to the point brought out on a discussion thread here within the past couple of days, that the disciplinary procedures provided by RONR should be used, dovetailing with the requirements of the bylaws where not inconsistent with them. (I have to go out now, borrowing Jonathan Thoreson's Spidey suit so that I can swing around the city on my webs fighting crime, but I will look up and post a link to that thread when I get back, unless there are Law & Order reruns on TV.)

Archived