The Official RONR Q & A Forums

executive session

Guest SharonH

I have looked into the 11th edition of RR and tried to find the answer to this. Our Board is trying to negotiate a settlement in a lawsuit. The lawyers asked us to go into closed session to discuss our offer to settle. We went into executive session. We took a vote in the closed session on our next steps. Now a member is telling us that the actual vote should have been taken in open session. Even though we can keep the topic of the motion confidential. This seems unreasonable, and basically useless. But I thought I'd ask here.

May the Board take a vote in closed/executive session without recording the results of the vote in the minutes of the open meeting? OR do the votes stay in the minutes of the executive session.

Thanks

I have looked into the 11th edition of RR and tried to find the answer to this. Our Board is trying to negotiate a settlement in a lawsuit. The lawyers asked us to go into closed session to discuss our offer to settle. We went into executive session. We took a vote in the closed session on our next steps. Now a member is telling us that the actual vote should have been taken in open session. Even though we can keep the topic of the motion confidential. This seems unreasonable, and basically useless. But I thought I'd ask here.

May the Board take a vote in closed/executive session without recording the results of the vote in the minutes of the open meeting? OR do the votes stay in the minutes of the executive session.

Thanks

Motions can be adopted in executive session.

Whether the proceedings of executive session are recorded in separate minutes or with other proceedings of the meeting is for the assembly ti decide, but either way they should remain secret.

Yes to both questions. As far as RONR is concerned a body can do the same things in Executive Session as they can in Open Session including taking votes so there is no need under RONR to take the vote again in Open Session. The vote would be contained in the section of the minutes that took place during Executive Session and the minutes of the Executive Session would be approved in Executive Session as well. However, the Board could decide to disclose the outcome of that particular vote but are under obligation under RONR to do so. Of course, any applicable governing documents, rules, or laws may say otherwise.

The minutes of meetings (or portions thereof) held in executive session are no different in form and content from the minutes of so-called "open" meetings: they record what was done. If a vote was taken while in executive session, the result of the vote is recorded in the minutes of that executive session.

Archived