The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Comittee Report

Guest Steve

Good day. Our treasurer continues to refer to a salary study and report that were both conducted in the past but never brought to our organization to review and question (if desired).

It there a parlimentary way to stop references to a report or study conducted by a committee but never brought before the whole assembly?

No. However, if the committee was one that is under the organization's authority you all could order the committee to report on the study and report and/or produce the report and study for the Membership (the Secretary also should have a copy of any written reports and studies that the committee worked with and/or created). If the committee is not under the organization's authority then you all could order the Treasurer to procure a copy of the study and report (though he may not be able to get a copy if the body which generated them doesn't want to give them out). If there is no way to get your hands on the report and study you all might have to take any reference to them with a grain of salt when considering any question referring to them.

Does it matter if he's reading from it?

Sorta. If he is reading from it then a Request For Information could be raised asking if the report and study can be made available to the Membership for review before the motion is permanently disposed of. If he said no then I would think that a motion could be adopted ordering him to do so (though I am not sure if the question would need to be temporarily disposed of first or if there is a way to get such an order while the question is pending).

Thank you for the responses. Our treasurer does not have a copy of the report when he makes his report to the assembly. He only verbally refers to it. It is especially relevant now as it is time for our annual budget to be presented for approval to the assembly and this has been used as a basis to "not offer staff raises, because we did a study..."

Thank you for the responses. Our treasurer does not have a copy of the report when he makes his report to the assembly. He only verbally refers to it. It is especially relevant now as it is time for our annual budget to be presented for approval to the assembly and this has been used as a basis to "not offer staff raises, because we did a study..."

It violates no rule to refer to it during debate.

Sorta. If he is reading from it then a Request For Information could be raised asking if the report and study can be made available to the Membership for review before the motion is permanently disposed of. If he said no then I would think that a motion could be adopted ordering him to do so (though I am not sure if the question would need to be temporarily disposed of first or if there is a way to get such an order while the question is pending).

I would rule that information relevant to the assembly's business that is in the possession of one of its officers could be viewed as a question of privilege of the assembly.

Does it matter if he's reading from it?

Yes:

If any member objects, a member has no right to read from—or to have the secretary read from—any paper or book as a part of his speech without permission of the assembly. This rule is a protection against the use of reading as a means of prolonging debate and delaying business. It is customary, however, to permit members to read short, pertinent, printed extracts in debate so long as they do not abuse the privilege. If a member wishes to do so, he can, while speaking in debate, say, “If there is no objection, I would like to read … [indicating the nature and length of the paper].” The member can then begin to read unless another member objects.

Archived