The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Can the chair make a motion to elect his successor?

Guest Charisse

Good afternoon - Can the Board Chair make a motion to elect his successor? Our Chair would like to be the one to make the motion of his successor's election as new Chair...

I've tried looking in my Robert's Rules but am having a hard time specifically finding if they can make motions. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

If the Board has about a dozen members or more then the Chair should not be making nominations or doing anything in the meetings that would interfere with his impartiality. If the Board is smaller than about a dozen members then the Chair doesn't have that duty of impartiality imposed on him.

Done. Now a member. My next question is - our bylaws state that the Immediate Past Chair is part of the Executive Committee but does not consider him to be an Officer. Does that mean he cannot partake in votes in Executive Committee meetings and is still able to vote during Board meetings? Can the Immediate Past Chair be part of the Executive Committee if he is not an Officer?

My next question is - our bylaws state that the Immediate Past Chair is part of the Executive Committee but does not consider him to be an Officer. Does that mean he cannot partake in votes in Executive Committee meetings and is still able to vote during Board meetings?

If the Immediate Past Chair is a member of the Executive Committee then he has the rights of a member of the Executive Committee.

Can the Immediate Past Chair be part of the Executive Committee if he is not an Officer?

It seems that the bylaws say that he is.

My next question is - our bylaws state that the Immediate Past Chair is part of the Executive Committee but does not consider him to be an Officer. Does that mean he cannot partake in votes in Executive Committee meetings and is still able to vote during Board meetings? Can the Immediate Past Chair be part of the Executive Committee if he is not an Officer?

Your organization is free to adopt whatever rules it wants. As far as RONR is concerned, a member is a member is a member. So if your Immediate Past Chair (IPC) is a member of your Executive Committee, he can do anything any other member can do.

Archived