The Official RONR Q & A Forums

motions

Guest john

can a chairperson move a motion to a later portion of a meeting ?

The chair can't prevent a proper motion from coming before the assembly, but if the motion is not in order at the time, the chair is obliged to rule so, and he can state that it would be in order at some other portion of the meeting, such as, "The motion is not in order at this time, but it would be in order under New Business."

The chair can't prevent a proper motion from coming before the assembly, but if the motion is not in order at the time, the chair is obliged to rule so, and he can state that it would be in order at some other portion of the meeting, such as, "The motion is not in order at this time, but it would be in order under New Business."

Must the motion be restated by the person who made that motion at that later time and or must that person be present at that later time.

John

Must the motion be restated by the person who made that motion at that later time and or must that person be present at that later time.

John

I think I'm reading this question a bit differently than the previous two posters. Perhaps John is asking if the (delayed by decree of the chair) motion comes up automatically later in the meeting. In other words, if the original motion maker has left, and no one else chooses to get up and make the motion, what happens? Depending on exactly how the motion was pushed to a later time in the meeting, in most cases I don't think anything would happen automatically when that later time arrives. For example, if the chair just advised the member that his motion should be brought up later under New Business, or if the chair ruled the motion out of order when it was first made, the motion would have to be made anew at the appropriate time (by someone who is present at the meeting at that later time).

John, can you clarify your question and/or give a few more details about what happened?

Archived