The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Election of Officers

Guest rosalyn horton

Please see the underlined statement below - this has been included in a set of bylaws that I have been asked to review for accuracy. I was unable to locate anything specific on the website that covers this situation.

In the event that three or more candidates aspire to one office and a majority vote is not obtained on the first ballot, the two candidates receiving the highest votes cast shall participate in the re-balloting.

Is this correct - since none of them received a majority can they restrict the 3rd candidate from continuing in the election process?

thanks

Please see the underlined statement below - this has been included in a set of bylaws that I have been asked to review for accuracy. I was unable to locate anything specific on the website that covers this situation.

In the event that three or more candidates aspire to one office and a majority vote is not obtained on the first ballot, the two candidates receiving the highest votes cast shall participate in the re-balloting.

Is this correct - since none of them received a majority can they restrict the 3rd candidate from continuing in the election process?

thanks

Bylaws supersede RONR and can defy fundamental principles of parliamentary law, so members should be well-informed about the meaning and ramifications of the bylaw provisions that they are called upon to consider.

If you're planning a revision, you may want to consult a professional parliamentarian who can assist you.

thanks

See RONR (11th ed.), pp. 441. If this is a vote by mail, see pp. 425-426.

Archived