The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Holding 2 positions

Guest Chrissy

There is an executive board and directors. Everyone votes for exec elections. We have someone who was a director and therefore would have a vote but halfway through the year he was appointed to a vacant board position. He doesn't get a vote for the board position because he wasn't voted in but can he still hold his directors spot and have a vote through that position. I'm thinking once he takes board spot he gives up his director spot. I'm sure there is a rule saying you can't hold 2 voting positions but can you hold two positions at all.

There is an executive board and directors. Everyone votes for exec elections. We have someone who was a director and therefore would have a vote but halfway through the year he was appointed to a vacant board position. He doesn't get a vote for the board position because he wasn't voted in but can he still hold his directors spot and have a vote through that position. I'm thinking once he takes board spot he gives up his director spot. I'm sure there is a rule saying you can't hold 2 voting positions but can you hold two positions at all.

There is no rule (in RONR) that says you can't hold more than one position, voting or otherwise. But, regardless of how many positions you hold, you only get one vote.

But you say you have a board and directors. Are you sure you don't have a Board of Directors? I think that's the more common situation and, in that case, every member of the board is a director. Further, if you're a member of the board (of directors?) it shouldn't matter how you got there (i.e. either elected or appointed) since, as far as RONR is concerned, a member is a member is a member.

I have no idea who set it up but there is an executive board of 7 people then there is about 10 directors of various items that help run things. The executive board vote on certain things that the directors don't vote on. Then there are certain things everyone has a vote. they just had elections for new exec board positions. Everyone is arguing on if this particular person gets a vote because people are saying once this person took his appointed spot on the exec board to fill a vacancy he would have to give up his director position. But there is nothing in their particular bylaws so I was curious if there was a rule that you can't hold more than one position. So if there is no rule than that answers their question I would think.

I have no idea who set it up but there is an executive board of 7 people then there is about 10 directors of various items that help run things. The executive board vote on certain things that the directors don't vote on. Then there are certain things everyone has a vote. they just had elections for new exec board positions. Everyone is arguing on if this particular person gets a vote because people are saying once this person took his appointed spot on the exec board to fill a vacancy he would have to give up his director position. But there is nothing in their particular bylaws so I was curious if there was a rule that you can't hold more than one position. So if there is no rule than that answers their question I would think.

There is no such rule in RONR.

You simply need to determine who is a member to know who can vote.

Archived