The Official RONR Q & A Forums

By-law Amendment Formulas

Rev Ed

After answering a question about By-law amendments, I thought that I would start a topic discussing different By-law amendments I have seen and to hear what other people have read or experienced.

Here are what I have seen:

1) Any member can propose an amendment at the AGM, or a special meeting can be called. Either with a 2/3 vote or a majority vote of all members.

2) The Board may make changes (for large organizations with members covering a large area, as it might be hard for members to attend a meeting.)

3) The Board approves the change first, and then places it before the membership.

4) A By-laws committee to offer amendments - and some organizations may require an amendment be offered to the Committee first.

#3 and #4 have an obvious issue - you do not want to amendments made to By-laws that do not exist or to make sure that the entire document (i.e. all the by-laws) will be consistent - it is possible that by changing By-law #4 that the amended verision will either make by-law #6 useless or be in conflict with #6.

Is the main concern the hazard of ending up with internally inconsistent bylaws? That would seem to be a hazard with any of the approaches, especially those approaches which allow further amendment at the meeting which is considering the adoption of any proposed bylaws changes. Since further amendment by the adopting body is almost always allowed, I suppose this hazard has to be dealt with by thorough and careful debate prior to voting. I'm not clear on why #3 and #4 above are particularly trouble-prone.

After answering a question about By-law amendments, I thought that I would start a topic discussing different By-law amendments I have seen and to hear what other people have read or experienced.

Here are what I have seen:

1) Any member can propose an amendment at the AGM, or a special meeting can be called. Either with a 2/3 vote or a majority vote of all members.

2) The Board may make changes (for large organizations with members covering a large area, as it might be hard for members to attend a meeting.)

3) The Board approves the change first, and then places it before the membership.

4) A By-laws committee to offer amendments - and some organizations may require an amendment be offered to the Committee first.

#3 and #4 have an obvious issue - you do not want to amendments made to By-laws that do not exist or to make sure that the entire document (i.e. all the by-laws) will be consistent - it is possible that by changing By-law #4 that the amended verision will either make by-law #6 useless or be in conflict with #6.

I only see #1 through #4. Where does #6 come in?

Archived