The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Board Memeber

Guest Eric L

In June 2011 we held our annual Members meeting where the community votes for their Board. Since then a member of the community has been serving as a board member. There have been motions and votes at our July and Sept. meetings. This member has voted in all of these meeting. Now after a controversial vote, one of our members is stating that we have to many board members and that the motion (second by the member in question) and vote in the last meeting does not count. This individual is listed on our newsletter as a board member and all of the other board members believed that they were a board member. Now that member is being told that they cannot attend an emergency meeting. What are my options? What is the best course of action?

In June 2011 we held our annual Members meeting where the community votes for their Board. Since then a member of the community has been serving as a board member. There have been motions and votes at our July and Sept. meetings. This member has voted in all of these meeting. Now after a controversial vote, one of our members is stating that we have to many board members and that the motion (second by the member in question) and vote in the last meeting does not count. This individual is listed on our newsletter as a board member and all of the other board members believed that they were a board member. Now that member is being told that they cannot attend an emergency meeting. What are my options? What is the best course of action?

The bylaws state how many members constitute the board and how such members become members.

A board member cannot be excluded from a board meeting, except through disciplinary proceedings.

It's not up to "one of the members" to decide the matter, and any squabbling over it outside a meeting is of no parliamentary significance. A member can address the issue in the meeting, on which the chair will make a ruling, and an appeal from this decision can be made.

The decision would ultimately be in the hands of the assembly of the society, unless your rules say otherwise.

As a board we were under the impression that we only had 9 members. Now our VP is saying that we have been conducting business with 10. But, only 9 members are showing up and the 10th physically lives out of state and apparently never resigned from the board. For the past 5 months we thought that they had because they have not been to any meeting or past on any information. I'm looking for some guidance on how to deal with this issue.

The tenth person elected/appointed to the board is not (and never was) a member. Any motions adopted where her vote could have affected the outcome can be declared null and void.

Huhh? How do you know this? Since the OP says the out-of-state member 'never resigned', presumably he/she was a member.

From what has been said, I assume that elections were held with the assumption that the out-of-stater had resigned, and it later turned out he/she hadn't -- so now they have an extra member. I'm not clear how they are sure who the 'extra' member is. Guest_Eric, are the board members elected as generic members of the board, or are they elected to specific offices?

Huhh? How do you know this? Since the OP says the out-of-state member 'never resigned', presumably he/she was a member.

Yes, I'm presuming the out-of-state member is still on the board. I'm also assuming the tenth person added to a nine-person board is not a member.

Yes, all members were voted to specific board positions. I was not present during the final vote count. Upon returning for our next meeting there were 9 members present. I am trying to figure this situation out myself. Would it be best to make a motion for all necessary financial business be conducted and that all other business be tabled until the annual meeting where a new vote for board members will be conducted. I am more interested in the integrity of the board and it financial well being at this time. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Yes, all members were voted to specific board positions. I was not present during the final vote count. Upon returning for our next meeting there were 9 members present. I am trying to figure this situation out myself. Would it be best to make a motion for all necessary financial business be conducted and that all other business be tabled until the annual meeting where a new vote for board members will be conducted. I am more interested in the integrity of the board and it financial well being at this time. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

The tenth person elected/appointed to the board is not (and never was) a member. Any motions adopted where her vote could have affected the outcome can be declared null and void.

Since you apparently do know who the non-member is, follow the advice in Guest_Edgar's post. Other than that, why should any future business be tabled? Just go on about the business of the board, without the erroneously elected non-member. It doesn't sound like you have a quorum problem, do you?

The board certainly could contact the out-of-state member, and try to arrange for his/her resignation. In the meantime, it sounds as though you will have meetings with one member (the out-of-stater) absent -- nothing terrible about that.

I'm curious..... which is often when I get into trouble for opening my e-yap..... when you held elections in June, how many positions on the Board were voted on? All of them?

I don't think we've gotten a proper answer to David Foulkes's question, which means I don't think we've been able to give a proper answer to Eric L's question. If the entire board was up for election in June, then the chronically absent member could have been replaced at that time, regardless of whether he "resigned".

Could it also be, if the bylaws include the "or until" language (p.653 ll. 27-28), and if the vote count was high enough (p. 653 ll. 30-35), that the successor was elected replacing the absent member? If the assembly was under the impression the member had resigned and a vacancy existed at the time of the election, might they have in fact elected his replacement, and thus now be at the proper nine members? Or am I crawling too far out on that limb (again)?

Archived