The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Conducting a Meeting with the Chair and Vice Chare are absent

Guest Susan

We have a Wife and the Husband running for Chair and Vice chair. The By-Laws state the Duties of the Vice Chair are to preform the duties of the Chair in his/her absence. As current Chair, I have been asked if this was a conflict and should it be addressed before a vote is taken.

We have a Wife and the Husband running for Chair and Vice chair. The By-Laws state the Duties of the Vice Chair are to preform the duties of the Chair in his/her absence. As current Chair, I have been asked if this was a conflict and should it be addressed before a vote is taken.

It's up to the voters to determine if this particular combination is unwise.

• 2 weeks later...

You might ask what the perceived conflict is, but nothing in RONR would prevent a husband and wife from holding those offices.

We have a Wife and the Husband running

There may also be local regulations/laws which apply, or at least it will need to be disclosed that they are married.

I'm guessing this is not unknown. ;)

There may also be local regulations/laws which apply, or at least it will need to be disclosed that they are married.

It's unclear whether you are suggesting that the "disclosure" rule is a possible local regulation/law, or if you are suggesting that this would be the "default" rule in the absence of such a local regulation/law. If the former, keep in mind that the discussion of local regulations or laws is beyond the scope of RONR and this forum, If the latter, the statement is incorrect. Either way, you would have been better off ending the post after the word "apply."

Archived