The Official RONR Q & A Forums

intent of founding members of the constitution

Guest Dhirubhai Desai

Guest Dhirubhai Desai

Few years back, I recollect one of your interpretations as to: " In case of ambiguity, the intent of the founding member is final " or something to this effect.

Please help me with this interpretation in the Roberts Rule of Order, 10th Edition

Few years back, I recollect one of your interpretations as to: " In case of ambiguity, the intent of the founding member is final " or something to this effect.

Please help me with this interpretation in the Roberts Rule of Order, 10th Edition

The current edition is the 11th, and you'll find the principle in RONR (11th ed.), p. 588, l. 31 - p. 589, l. 3, though it is NOT what you stated it as.

You are most likely thinking of the sentence in Principle of Interpretation #1 which states that "The interpretation should be in accordance with the intention of the society at the time the bylaw was adopted, so far as this can be determined." (RONR, 11th ed., pg. 588, lines 31-33) Nothing about founding members, although I suppose that might be relevant if the bylaw in question was adopted when the society was founded. This is not final, however - the society itself has the final say, not any particular member(s). (RONR, 11th ed., pg. 588, line 25)

Archived