The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Can a Board of Director's Decision be Overturned

Guest mesq2

Can a Board of Director's decision be overturned at a monthly meeting by members of the club? Robert's Rules of Order were NOT followed at a recent club meeting I attended and I'm wondering if one decision that the board made can be reversed. A member brought an issue to the attention of the general membership because that member did not like the club's board's decision that was not in their favor. Another member of the club made a motion and another member gave a 2nd to the motion. The motion was voted on and did pass by a count of hands. The president did not call for a motion, a 2nd and was basically forced into asking for a vote. Thanks for your help.

Can a Board of Director's decision be overturned at a monthly meeting by members of the club? Robert's Rules of Order were NOT followed at a recent club meeting I attended and I'm wondering if one decision that the board made can be reversed. A member brought an issue to the attention of the general membership because that member did not like the club's board's decision that was not in their favor. Another member of the club made a motion and another member gave a 2nd to the motion. The motion was voted on and did pass by a count of hands. The president did not call for a motion, a 2nd and was basically forced into asking for a vote. Thanks for your help.

Normally, yes, the general membership can overturn a decision of the board. See:

Official Interpretation 2006-13

I don't understand your concern about the president not calling for a motion or a second, and being 'forced' into calling for a vote. The president doesn't have the authority to stand in the way of those actions (making a motion, seconding, debate, voting) when a member brings a motion before the assembly. Was the vote forced in some way, before the membership had an opportunity to debate?

The following is in our club's bylaws: The general supervision & direction of the affairs of the organization shall be vested in the Board of Directors, and they shall audit all bills against the organization over one hundred dollars ($100). They may fill all vacancies which may occur among the officers between annual meetings & carry on all business & other activities of the organization. The Board of Directors will act as the membership committee, & through the treasurer, will give the general membership an audited financial report on each club project or event within 90 days of the end of the project or event. (rev. 1993).

Does this Article VII/ Section 1 in our club's bylaws make a differnce in how the Official Interpretation 2006-13 reads?

Thanks Again!

I am under the impression that the President runs the meeting and I felt that the general membership took over. There were a lot of interruptions and emotional outbursts. The motion was not voted on "word for word" as it will be written into the minutes (which are typically approved @ the following monthly meeting) and I don't feel that debate was totally finished. Thanks!

Does this Article VII/ Section 1 in our club's bylaws make a differnce in how the Official Interpretation 2006-13 reads?

No. If anything, it looks like your board has less authority than the example used in OI 2006-13, since it only has "general supervision" rather than "full authority between meetings." Thus, it certainly seems the general membership could overturn the board's motion.

I am under the impression that the President runs the meeting...

This impression is incorrect. The President does preside over the meeting, but the assembly runs the meeting.

There were a lot of interruptions and emotional outbursts. The motion was not voted on "word for word" as it will be written into the minutes (which are typically approved @ the following monthly meeting) and I don't feel that debate was totally finished.

Well, this is unfortunate, but it's too late to raise a Point of Order about any of it now.

Archived