The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Committee appointment

Guest Chuck

The President, if he/she is responsible for making those appoints, should appoint all Committee members including the Chairmen. If the President refuses to do so, the Board could take disciplinary actions. If the By-laws do not contain any information on how to discipline members, read Chapter XX of RONR.

Where By-laws provide President shall appoint and be an ex-officio member of all Committees, does President hava sole right to appoint Committee Chariman and can President be forced by Board to appoiint same?

See RONR (11th ed.), p. 495, l. 11 - p. 496, l. 17.

The board cannot control which individuals the president selects as committee members or chairmen.

A new board was elected to our private club just recently. We are unsure as to the procedures to nominate and elected officers i.e. Chairperosn, President, Treasurer and Secretary. Who is the presiding officer from the current board to run this caucus and can a recall caucus be done? Also is there any rule against a silent vote for this caucus?

A new board was elected to our private club just recently. We are unsure as to the procedures to nominate and elected officers i.e. Chairperosn, President, Treasurer and Secretary. Who is the presiding officer from the current board to run this caucus and can a recall caucus be done? Also is there any rule against a silent vote for this caucus?

Please start a new thread for this new topic (which is not really related to committee appointments). OK, I can't help asking -- what's a recall caucus?

Where By-laws provide President shall appoint and be an ex-officio member of all Committees, does President hava sole right to appoint Committee Chariman

Yes. If the Bylaws provide that the President shall appoint all committees, that includes committee chairmen.

and can President be forced by Board to appoiint same?

Well, the board can't force the President to appoint their choice, if that's what you're asking. If the President's slacking in his duties... check your Bylaws. The board may or may not play a role in that.

If the President refuses to do so, the Board could take disciplinary actions.

The authority to discipline officers rests with the general membership unless the Bylaws states otherwise.

It does not have to be serious - something as simple as censuring the President. Or the Board could pass a motion to the following : "That the President appoint members to all Committees as required by the By-laws of the organization."

Well, I guess a motion to censure would be okay. I'm inclined to think a motion which simply reaffirms what is in the Bylaws is dilatory.

Who is the presiding officer from the current board to run this caucus and can a recall caucus be done?

If you have a Chairperson and a President, I think you'll need to look to your Bylaws to see who chairs what. If a "recall caucus" relates to removing officers from office, see FAQ #20. Otherwise I have no idea what you mean.

Also is there any rule against a silent vote for this caucus?

If by "silent vote" you mean a ballot vote, nothing in RONR prohibits a ballot vote. If you mean something else, please clarify.

Archived