The Official RONR Q & A Forums

What are the obligations of a president to telling the truth?

anthonyc76

I'm a trustee at a non-profit organization.....there was a special committee put together to work on a deal w/ a client. The committee also included the president. The committee worked independently without the knowledge of the body........

I found out about some of the details and asked the president and was given false information or "kept in the dark".

we don't have any by-laws regarding lying is there anything withing Roberts Rule that tells how to handle this situation?

thanks!

it's funny that within all these rules and majority votes that there's nothing about "if you lie, here are the consequences"...

But there is. It's called Chapter XX. Which is where FAQ #20 will lead you. So charge the president with lying to a trustee, conduct an investigation, hold a trial and, upon conviction, mete out an appropriate punishment.

Why FAQ#20. He's not required in any way to reveal the nature of deliberations of a committee, though saying so would be preferable.

The OP has made an allegation against the president's conduct outside of a meeting. I can't think of a better FAQ to reference.

The assembly of the organization decides what standard to which to hold its members and officers.

Archived