The Official RONR Q & A Forums

What constitutes an "Action?"

Guest Jane

I am newly appointed to the Board of Directors as Treasurer of a small non-profit social club.

Our by laws contain the following:

"Roberts Rules of Order, Newly Revised, is the governing authority in all matters

not covered by these bylaws."

When a board member says "you can't take action outside a board meeting" I find it vauge. I don't know what an "action" is versus simply performing the day to day duties my appointed position is responsible for or taking care of routine club business as it arises.

Is there a definition for "take action" in the context of a board directed oragnization under Roberts Rules that I can refer to?

When a board member says "you can't take action outside a board meeting" I find it vague.

I'd ask the board member to show you the rule he appears to be citing.

Is there a definition for "take action" in the context of a board directed oragnization under Roberts Rules that I can refer to?

While it's true that the board can't act outside a board meeting (since the board can only function as a board at a board meeting), it's not true that individual officers can't act outside of a meeting. In fact the primary reason for giving authority to an individual is to permit him to act between meetings.

Check your bylaws to see what authority they give to the treasurer.

Archived