The Official RONR Q & A Forums

3/4 majority vote

Guest curious

to elect a president our orgination must have an 80% memership present a fir quorum and be elected with 3/4 majority. Is the 3/4 of the quorum present, or of the toal membership of the organization?

I'm afraid your organization will have to interpret its own bylaws (and a paraphrased excerpt is far from sufficient).

If RONR was the only guide, a three-fourths vote would mean three-fourths of the members present and voting.

So let's say your organization has one hundred members. You'll need at least eighty members present to satisfy your quorum requirement. Then, if only twelve members voted (and all the other members abstained), you'd need at least eight votes to elect a president.

But that may not be what your rules say.

It is up to you all to interpret your own bylaws (see RONR pp. 588-591 for some help with that). There is one other option that you left out which is 3/4 of the members who were at the meeting and voted. In any event I would strongly suggest you all amend the bylaws to change that extremely (and quite possibly unreasonably) difficult to reach requirement to elect a President. We have seen enough problems here with organizations having problems electing officers with a lower quorum and a lower voting requirement and you all have made both much higher.

I'm afraid your organization will have to interpret its own bylaws (and a paraphrased excerpt is far from sufficient).

If RONR was the only guide, a three-fourths vote would mean three-fourths of the members present and voting.

So let's say your organization has one hundred members. You'll need at least eighty members present to satisfy your quorum requirement. Then, if only twelve members voted (and all the other members abstained), you'd need at least eight votes to elect a president.

But that may not be what your rules say.

Make that nine of the twelve to achieve the 3/4 threshold.

Archived