The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Are Executive Sessions a normal part of Public Meetings and what reasons are they called for>

Guest Sharon S

I am confused by our Board of Education calling Executive Sessions as a normal course at public meetings. Seems like they use this to restrict the public from informations that could be public. I thought Executive sessons were only for personnnel issues. I do not see why a financial issue would be held when the tax payers are paying the bills.

When can they be called?

In RONR-land executive sessions can be "called", or gone into, at any time for any, or no, reason at all.

A public body, such as your school Board, presumably operates under some additional laws or rules which supersede RONR. So you will have to ask you local law-givers, or rule-makers, what is going on.

According to RONR, an assembly can go into executive session whenever it wishes, for any reason (not just personnel matters). A public board of ed is almost certainly subject to additional rules or statutes -- you need to look there for any restrictions on the use of executive session (such restrictions would not come from Robert's Rules of Order).

As noted, RONR does not restrict the organization from meeting in executive session as often and for whatever purpose it feels is appropriate. Some public boards are restricted by so-called "sunshine laws" that restrict the right to meet in executive session. Some laws require disclosure of the items to be discussed (e.g. personnel actions, matters of security, land transactions, or discipline); some require that votes not be taken in executive session while some allow it; some require that the meeting notice include notice of a possible executive session. It varies.

If you wish to learn details of your state's sunshine laws, they aren't in RONR. Check the Internet or the office of your state's secretary of state. The school board attorney - if he/she will talk to you - could also provide details.

-Bob

Archived