The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Adopting Convention Committee Reports

Guest WannaBe

Refer to RONR p. 610:

“As each report comes up for consideration, it is presented to the convention by a reporting member, normally the respective committee chairman. This person should conclude his report with a statement that ‘by direction of the committee’ he moves its adoption....If no one offers the motion promptly, the chair can call for it, or can assume it by stating, for example, ‘The question is on the adoption of the report of the Program Committee.’”

RONR cautions against adopting committee reports, so this seems inconsistent. In each example shown in the book where the reporting member of the committee concludes with a motion, they never move the adoption of their entire report, but instead move the adoption of “the program as printed” or “the Standing Rules of the Convention as just read,” etc.

Why, then, would it not be better in such a case for the chair to offer the motion in the same way the reporting member would, as follows:

CHAIR: The question is on the adoption of the Program as printed.

Refer to RONR p. 629:

“...the report of the Program Committee is presented—normally by the committee chairman—somewhat as follows: ‘...By direction of the committee I move the adoption of the program as printed.’”

Same for the Convention standing rules, instead of this:

CHAIR: The question is on the adoption of the report of the Committee on Standing Rules.

Why not this:

CHAIR: “The question is on the adoption of the Standing Rules of the Convention as just read.”

Corresponding to what the reporting member of the committee would say:

T p. 31

“By direction of the Committee on Standing Rules, I move the adoption of the Standing Rules of the Convention as just read.”

It looks to me as if they really wanna adopt the reports for the convention (p. 507 - 508, except that now I'm confused by p. 508, lines 6 - 7, saying that someone other than the reporting member should move the adoption of the report, unless these formative reports to the convention are simply exceptions).

Archived