The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Can a Motion be Called Back to the Floor for Re-consideration?

Rhibran

Hello forum members,

I hope this finds each of you well and in good spirits! Hope everyone has a great holiday planned for next week.

My question is: can a motion be recalled to the floor for re-consideration and voting AFTER it was approved in the previous meeting?

In our previous senate meeting, a motion requiring all members to do A, B, and C was passed. Our constitution states that, "a senator has the power to call for a recount of a motion with a majority vote from other senators." I'm not sure if 'recount of a motion' is the same as what I am trying to do.

Part B of the previous motion is what is truly at question. Part B requires all members to participate in an event while our senate is not in session; my goal is to bring this back up to our group to have it re-considered, and hopefully struck down.

I realize this is a lot of information to consider, and thank you immensely for your time in effort in helping me.

David McMahan

President Pro-Tempore of the Senate

Student Government Association

Miami Dade College Kendall Campus

(786)393-8923

It is ultimately up to you all to interpret your rules but I would suspect that "a senator has the power to call for a recount of a motion with a majority vote from other senators" is referring to ordering a recount of the ballots that were cast on a particular question (which can only be done if the ballots were retained securely). As for Part B of the motion you can Rescind it assuming that a) it can be Rescinded and B) that Part B of the motion hasn't already been fully executed. See RONR pp. 305-310 for details on this motion.

My question is: can a motion be recalled to the floor for re-consideration and voting AFTER it was approved in the previous meeting?

This seems like a good time to note that the term "reconsider" has a very specific parliamentary meaning quite apart from its everyday meaning. So while a motion to Reconsider may no longer be an option, a motion to Rescind (as Chris H. suggested) may do the trick.

And, while we're on the subject, the third of the parliamentary three Rs is the motion to Renew.

...And, while we're on the subject, the third of the parliamentary three Rs is the motion to Renew.

This is a term I'm not familiar with. My knowledge of RRO is fairly basic, and I often get lost in the book trying to figure things out. Of course, it might help if I bought the book, meaning a paper copy. I have a Kindle version which isn't very user friendly.

This is a term I'm not familiar with.

Well, it might have been a bit of a stretch to refer to a motion to Renew. Renewing a motion simply means making a motion that had been made, and lost, in a previous meeting. So you wouldn't say, "I move to renew . . . " in the way that you would say, "I move to rescind . . . ". You'd simply make the motion again (as if it had never been made before).

Awesome, thanks so much guys. I truly appreciate it.

Just for confirmation:

I should say, "I remove to rescind part B of the A, B, and C motion that passed on November 15, 2011."

I just want to be 100% sure we can, for lack of a better phrase, 'line item veto' just the B part, and not the whole law.

Yes. You can also amend the motion to remove that portion, if it is better suited to the circumstances.

I think it would be clearer to amend the adopted motion, striking out Part B. (To rescind implies knocking off A,B, C, and the rest of the motion, leaving nothing. I might be imprudently disagreeing with Chris H and Sean Hunt, here, except I'm not completely sure what Mr. Hunt means, in Post 8.)

And Rhibran (or David, or Mr. McMahan, whatever your preference; Mr President Pro-Tempore might be pushin' it), while you're here. Please buy your copy of RONR - In Brief. Do it now, no kidding, there's no point in delay, as you'll doubtless end up needing to, and wishing you had back when I first mentioned it at 6:30 AM Dade Time; and read it now. No kidding, read it the first time right then and there. It will take an hour: don't even sit down before you finish. It will take maybe an hour, even less if you skip blank areas like p. 96 and 98 (which are only there to give the ink on p. 95 and 97 something to stick to). Then come back (Sunday morning -- no later, I mean it, I'm setting my alarm for 6 right now) with more (and better-informed!) questions.

Archived