The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Voting on Minutes of the Meetng

Guest j r

Our minutes from the previous meeting are emailed to the Group prior to our meeting. We are to print out the minutes and review and make changes. Once we are in the meeting it is asked of the group if there are any changes to the minutes; it usually isn't and then the Committee leader asks for a motion to accept the minutes - and the motion is made and seconded and approved. So I am trying to find out if we need to motion and approve on all the bulleted items or can we motion on the whole document composed of 4 to 5 bulleted items?

I am confused here. Are you asking if it is in order to have a motion and a vote on approving the Minutes? If so, the answer would be yes and no. While a motion and vote would not be out of order, a motion is usually assumed and the acceptance done by unanimous consent. The Chairman would normally state "Are there any corrections to the Minutes?" After a pause, or after all corrections appear to have been made, the Chairman would state: "If there are no corrections (or any more corrections), the Minutes are approved."

If you are asking if only part of the Minutes have to approved, I would state no. Either approve the Minutes as a whole or not as all. The latter is not recommended though.

While a motion and vote would not be out of order, a motion is usually assumed and the acceptance done by unanimous consent.

"The minutes are thus approved without any formal vote, even if a motion for their approval has been made." - RONR (11th ed.), p. 355, ll. 5-6. A vote would be out of order, according to that sentence.

Our minutes from the previous meeting are emailed to the Group prior to our meeting. We are to print out the minutes and review and make changes. Once we are in the meeting it is asked of the group if there are any changes to the minutes; it usually isn't and then the Committee leader asks for a motion to accept the minutes - and the motion is made and seconded and approved. So I am trying to find out if we need to motion and approve on all the bulleted items or can we motion on the whole document composed of 4 to 5 bulleted items?

No, you don't adopt the minutes bit by bit. If a correction is offered to section B of the draft minutes, and if the correction is controversial for some reason, then the assembly could decide (by vote) whether to adopt the correction. However, that doesn't mean section B of the minutes has then been formally accepted by the assembly, while sections A, C, and D are still hanging around waiting to be accepted. Is that what you had in mind?

Once all corrections have been made, then... see Mr. Wynn's citation in post #3.

Archived