The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Roberts Rules Hand Out

msdpolich

My organization has requested that I provide a parliamentary/roberts rules 'cheat sheet'. With definitions and how to's. Anyone have any suggestions? Do's? Don'ts?

I didnt know if anyone has ever gotten this request or if there is one out there that I can use.

Thanks for your time.

How about Ronert's Rules of Order In Brief, second edition (RONRIB)

How about Ronert's Rules of Order In Brief, second edition (RONRIB)

I think RONRIB is the best way to go because if there is some handout and there is some conflict with what RONR says you will likely get an argument started about which is right (we know RONR would be but that won't necessarily stop the headstrong people). RONRIB is written by the same folks who wrote RONR and unlike Robert's Rules according to Bubba or some other knockoff it is designed to be a companion which is fully in compliance with RONR.

I think RONRIB is the best way to go because if there is some handout and there is some conflict with what RONR says you will likely get an argument started about which is right

Well, yes, but I would hope that the "cheat sheets" offered on the NAP site are in compliance with RONR. It's just plain-vanilla parliamentary procedure (e.g. precedence of motions).

I think RONRIB is the best way to go because if there is some handout and there is some conflict with what RONR says you will likely get an argument started about which is right (we know RONR would be but that won't necessarily stop the headstrong people). RONRIB is written by the same folks who wrote RONR and unlike Robert's Rules according to Bubba or some other knockoff it is designed to be a companion which is fully in compliance with RONR.

And if more experienced members just want a really quick summary, they should look at pp. 194-197 of RONRIB.

Well, yes, but I would hope that the "cheat sheets" offered on the NAP site are in compliance with RONR. It's just plain-vanilla parliamentary procedure (e.g. precedence of motions).

I would hope so as well and they probably are. But I have seen things on the NAP site that might not necessarily comply with RONR fully (there are other parliamentary authorities out there) and I didn't want to have the OP buy them and find out that there was a conflict between the two. If the description of the cheat sheets were to specifically note that they were in compliance with RONR that would be helpful.

I think it would be wise for me to go ahead and purchase the 'in brief' version. Seems like it would be helpful for a new person to this scene like myself.

I take it this is the correct one?

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/roberts-rules-of-order-newly-revised-in-brief-2nd-edition-henry-m-iii-robert/1101001915?ean=9780306820199&itm=5&usri=roberts+rules+of+order+in+brief

Will this cause issues with using the latest edition? Our bylaws state that we are using the latest edition of the Roberts Rules of Order. Maybe Im just thinking about it too much.

'Course if your bylaws really say "Robert's Rules of Order" the "latest edition" of that book was published in 1893 -- time to update your bylaws, I'd say.

This is incorrect. The latest edition of "Robert's Rules of Order" is the eleventh, which is the one we all refer to nowadays.

'Course if your bylaws really say "Robert's Rules of Order" the "latest edition" of that book was published in 1893 -- time to update your bylaws, I'd say.

There is no need for the society to update in its Bylaws simply because the words "Newly Revised" are omitted from the section on the parliamentary authority. See RONR, 11th ed., pg. vii.

Archived