The Official RONR Q & A Forums

11th Edition - Is there a digital version available for purchase?

Guest Trish

If so where can I purchase it for my organization. If not when can we expect a release with the 11th edition?

There is a Kindle edition available (it is a pain to find, but I blame Amazon for that). No, there is no electronic edition of RONR, 11th edition at this time. A CD-ROM edition is also planned which will include some supplementary materials. The release date for that is still unclear at this point.

Although I haven't tried the Kindle version myself, several posters here have noted that it doesn't give access to the page numbers of the hard-copy book, which makes giving (and finding) citations problematic. Following internal references to other pages, within the book, also sounds difficult. If you look at the reviews at Amazon, you'll see some negative comments about those issues.

Although I haven't tried the Kindle version myself, several posters here have noted that it doesn't give access to the page numbers of the hard-copy book, which makes giving (and finding) citations problematic. Following internal references to other pages, within the book, also sounds difficult. If you look at the reviews at Amazon, you'll see some negative comments about those issues.

I have heard similar complaints.

I'm not sure what the CD-ROM for the 11th edition will be like, but I have the CD-ROM for the 10th edition, and in that version the text does include page numbers and the internal links work perfectly well.

What about the one that shows the cover for the 11th and says it's the 11th?

In the upper right hand corner you should see the words Not currently available and the blue Kindle edition link for $0.99 is for a much older version. I believe that the only editions of Robert's that you can get on Kindle at this time are those that are no longer under copyright.

In the upper right hand corner you should see the words Not currently available and the blue Kindle edition link for $0.99 is for a much older version. I believe that the only editions of Robert's that you can get on Kindle at this time are those that are no longer under copyright.

Thanks, that clears that up.

What about this thread?

I think Mr. Cisar would have noticed if the Kindle book he was looking at (and trying to cite from) was not actually RONR 11th.

Perhaps it was initially available and then became unavailable (because of the page citation problems cited?).

Or, hoping against hope, perhaps they abandoned the Kindle are will be releasing a version for the Nook.

Perhaps it was initially available and then became unavailable (because of the page citation problems cited?).

Or, hoping against hope, perhaps they abandoned the Kindle are will be releasing a version for the Nook.

Yes, it was available, I have it, and maybe it will be available again, it's just not available now.

I also have it, and can read it on my PC or my Android phone with the respective Kindle apps. I agree with the criticisms of the numbering system, which is true of all books in Kindle form, not just RONR11, but it's much more problematic with a reference book such as this one.

I find it useful when I'm searching for a phrase that I know is in there somewhere. But to get a proper citation I would have to note the section and subhead, then find it in the print edition to discern the actual page and line numbers.

I'm not sure there's any solution within the Kindle framework that would solve this problem.

But to get a proper citation I would have to note the section and subhead, then find it in the print edition to discern the actual page and line numbers.

I'm not sure there's any solution within the Kindle framework that would solve this problem.

There must be, because I have at least one book (a free copy of Pride and Prejudice) that does indeed show page numbers (no line numbers) as well as Kindle's "location" number. However, since there are a gazillion different editions of P&P around with varying numbers of pages I can't tell if it is accurate.

I understand that the academic community has raised a BIG fuss about page numbers in reference books (of which there is usually but one edition) and Amazon has agreed to include them. But in RONR? Well, not yet.

Perhaps RONR/11 is "unavailable" these days because a new version with page numbers is under preparation? Who knows.

• 1 year later...

Has there been any update on electronic versions of RONR (v11)? I am an iTunes user and would prefer to purchase through that store as opposed to Amazon/Kindle.

There has been an update, but nothing you can buy through iTunes or Amazon/Kindle. The CD-ROM edition was recently released. There's more information on the main page.

• 7 months later...

Can someone with the CD-rom edition comment on the technology used? I have purchased other text-archive CD-roms which are effectively folders full of linked PDFs.  If that is the case, it should be possible for a consumer to purchase the CD and then transfer the content to a Kindle, I-Pad etc. 

If, however, the CD-rom has proprietary "book reader" type software on it, then it would be more difficult to "port" this content over to one's device of preference.

Can someone with the CD-rom edition comment on the technology used? I have purchased other text-archive CD-roms which are effectively folders full of linked PDFs.  If that is the case, it should be possible for a consumer to purchase the CD and then transfer the content to a Kindle, I-Pad etc. 

If, however, the CD-rom has proprietary "book reader" type software on it, then it would be more difficult to "port" this content over to one's device of preference.

It's the latter for the book itself. Some of the bonus materials on the CD are available as PDFs as well.

• 3 months later...

Josh for those of us using a Mac, do you know if we can use this without installing Parallels or bootcamp?

The Folio Views software, which is used for reading RONR and RONR In Brief, is not compatible with Macs. The bonus materials are also available in PDF form.

So no, most of it cannot be used on a Mac without special software.

Archived