The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Breaking a tie vote for Vice President

Guest J Johnson

Guest J Johnson

According to the Bylaws for our volunteer, non-profit Board, our 12 member board votes for our 4 executive positions. This is the first time we've ever had a tie vote for a position - vice president. Our Bylaws do not discuss how to handle a tie. It was suggested that as incoming president, I should cast the deciding vote. However, I don't think that would create goodwill for our board going forward. Therefore, it was also suggested that we:

1. Conduct a recount of our Board members to see if by chance anyone changes their votes;

2. Then if we still have a tie, we would open it up for our membership to vote.

What are the rules for this situation? Does this seem the best way to handle this situation? Any other ideas?

A fast reply would be most appreciated.

Thank you.

A tie vote fails to elect, and you have an incomplete election. Repeated rounds of voting (balloting?) are required until a majority vote is received by someone. If you don't complete the election at the meeting, an adjourned meeting should be provided for to complete it. If that is not done, and the next regular meeting will be within a quarterly period, the election is completed at that meeting. (RONR/11 p.444)

If the bylaws say the Board elects the four executive officers, I don't believe that duty can be handed off to the membership.

Edited by David A Foulkes

However, I don't think that would create goodwill for our board going forward. .

What are the rules for this situation? Does this seem the best way to handle this situation? Any other ideas?

A fast reply would be most appreciated.

Thank you.

If it's not impractical, perhaps your Board would be better served to conduct the election by a "Secret Ballot" Vote.

A tie vote defeats a motion. So you have an incomplete election. You keep voting until someone is elected Vice President. Also, with only 12 members, you can use the relaxed rules for Board meetings which means that the Chairman/President would vote on every motion. However, regardless, if the motion is voted on by ballot you could vote by ballot. However, you would not get two votes, only one.

If the bylaws say the Board elects the four executive officers, I don't believe that duty can be handed off to the membership.

I concur, however, the board could postpone the election to the next board meeting and ask the membership to adopt a recommendation on the matter, with the hope that board members would vote accordingly.

Edited by Josh Martin
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.