The Official RONR Q & A Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Barkeeper

Nullified Election

Guest Barkeeper

A recent officers and board of directors election of our non-profit organization was later nullified in a closed / secret executive board session. My question is, Can an election be nullified in a closed session executive board meeting without the knowledge and consent of the general membership ?

A recent officers and board of directors election of our non-profit organization was later nullified in a closed / secret executive board session. My question is, Can an election be nullified in a closed session executive board meeting without the knowledge and consent of the general membership ?

No, unless your specific rules say so. RONR gives the board no such authority.

The attempted nullification is itself null and void. Assuming the election was conducted by the general membership, the membership may want to discipline the board for its improper actions in trying to interfere with a membership election.

And, indeed, RONR is crystal clear (!) -- p. 446 -- that ONLY the general membership has the authority (absent bylaws or special rules of order saying otherwise, of course) to take up "election disputes", which, obviously, could lead to nullification if the evidence warrents such.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this