The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Board Tie Beaker

Guest Dana

In my Organizations bylaws it states that the Board President appoints committee members. Which appointments will be subject to ratification from the Board. What happens in a split vote. 6 voting members including the President. 3 in favor 3 not in favor of the people appointed. Please advise

In my Organizations bylaws it states that the Board President appoints committee members. Which appointments will be subject to ratification from the Board. What happens in a split vote. 6 voting members including the President. 3 in favor 3 not in favor of the people appointed. Please advise

Except in the case of elections, a tie vote simply defeats the motion. So if the motion was to ratify the appointment of John Doe to the committee, a tie vote means the appointment wasn't ratified.

One solution might be to ratify (or not) each appointment individually (since from the wording of your question is appears that the appointments were voted on as a group).

if what you've stated is the only thing that your bylaws say about appointing committee members, then ratification of the president's appointments by the board is not required.

I could be mistaken but when Dana said, "Which appointments will be subject to ratification from the Board", I believe it was a statement, not a question.

I could be mistaken but when Dana said, "Which appointments will be subject to ratification from the Board", I believe it was a statement, not a question.

Yes, but then that means "What happens in a split vote." is also a statement and not a question. In fact, Guest_Dana didn't actually ask a question at all, judging by the absence of ?s.

Archived