The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Committee Reports

Guest Hank Wenzler

While in Committee Reports, a committee person was giving the report, then other members present at the Board Meeting, broke in and began a discussion of the report. I addressed the Chair with a Point of Order that a report was in progress and discussion should be delayed until etiher New or Old Business. The Chair did cut off the discussion before the meeting became a hen party.

And you have a question regarding . . . poultry?

Dfw4vU

Edgar,

Can you tell me where the specific Rule is that I quoted to the Chair? I have been use to running meetings for many years and have use the standard format for meetings, but not quoted a specific rule that I have used.

Edgar,

Can you tell me where the specific Rule is that I quoted to the Chair? I have been use to running meetings for many years and have use the standard format for meetings, but not quoted a specific rule that I have used.

For rules regarding interruption of a member assigned the floor, see RONR (11th ed.) pp. 383-384.

For rules regarding the assembly's consideration of action recommended in or arising out of a committee report, see p. 506 ff. Note that the assembly normally does this 'immediately after' receiving the report, so waiting until you reach unfinished business or new business is not required.

For what it's worth,

from the henhouse...

While I do agree that debate about a report should be reserved until the end of the report (regardless of whether it is a Committee report or an Officer report), you do not have to wait until Unfinished Business or New Business to discuss the issue. You would debate the issue and/or approve recommendations at the end of the report, not later in the meeting.

While in Committee Reports, a committee person was giving the report, then other members present at the Board Meeting, broke in and began a discussion of the report. I addressed the Chair with a Point of Order that a report was in progress and discussion should be delayed until etiher New or Old Business. The Chair did cut off the discussion before the meeting became a hen party.

Members may not interrupt the report (generally speaking), but if action is to be taken on the report it may be taken up immediately upon the conclusion of the report.

Can you tell me where the specific Rule is that I quoted to the Chair?

The rule you are referring to does not exist. Members may not interrupt the report (generally speaking) but if action is to be taken on the report, this may be taken up immediately upon the conclusion of the report. See RONR, 11th ed., pgs. 383-385; pg. 356, lines 12-15.

Archived