The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Motion to Ask for Resignation

Guest WannaBe

Looks like an original main motion to me. (See RONR 11th ed. p. 101 ll. 10-25 for more on the distinguishing characteristics of IMMs)

Albeit a somewhat pointless one, as the President is under no obligation to do anything at all if the motion is adopted.

edited, days later, to add the italicized text -- that is what I thought I wrote in my response, but WannaBe's questioning post this morning made me go back and check.

Hey, who knows - he may just agree and resign. "You don't want me here, fine. I quit!" But since a resignation is a voluntary act which the president can refuse to do, it seems pointless to ask for it. Behind this seem to be some other issues that the membership feels can only be resolved by removal of the president, so while addressing those through disciplinary procedures may be in the future, this is at least a first (if not small) step in that direction. And they may get lucky. Whether it's an original or incidental main motion, well......

I would say that it would be a main motion. However, the President is free to ignore the motion if it passed. If there are grounds for wanting the President out of office, it might be better to go through the disciplinary process - the President would be free to resign before the conclusion of the process (and it is not unheard of a President resigning before being kicked out of office.)

Several have posted that it is a main motion. Yes, I know it is a main motion, but INCIDENTAL main motion or ORIGINAL main motion? That is my question. The reason I ask is that we expect the motion to be made. We realize its effect is minimal, and it won't be adopted. But we want to shut it down immediately without even considering it or allowing even the maker of the motion to get the floor to discuss it. Objection to Consideration seems like the way, but it is only in order if the motion is an original main motion, not incidental main motion.

Several have posted that it is a main motion. Yes, I know it is a main motion, but INCIDENTAL main motion or ORIGINAL main motion? That is my question. The reason I ask is that we expect the motion to be made. We realize its effect is minimal, and it won't be adopted. But we want to shut it down immediately without even considering it or allowing even the maker of the motion to get the floor to discuss it. Objection to Consideration seems like the way, but it is only in order if the motion is an original main motion, not incidental main motion.

What you are experiencing is the reluctance of parliamentarians to provide a "yes" or "no" sort of answer to a question of this nature without being fully familiar with all of the facts in the particular case. J.J. (who ain't no slouch) seems to think that, in many circumstances, a motion to ask for the resignation of the President could be an incidental main motion, but I'm willing to bet dollars to doughnuts that, in your circumstances, the motion will be an original main motion.

Go for it. :)

What you are experiencing is the reluctance of parliamentarians to provide a "yes" or "no" sort of answer to a question of this nature without being fully familiar with all of the facts in the particular case. J.J. (who ain't no slouch) seems to think that, in many circumstances, a motion to ask for the resignation of the President could be an incidental main motion, but I'm willing to bet dollars to doughnuts that, in your circumstances, the motion will be an original main motion.

Go for it. :)

Can a motion raised under a question of privilege (as the acceptance of the resignation of an officer is a matter of privilege) be an original main motion, or is it always incidental?

Ah -- a real situation, not just a hypothetical :) .

If the motion to ask for resignation is made out of the blue, I don't see how it could be an IMM. What is it incidental to? In other words, what would be the 'substantive matter in which the assembly's involvement has begun earlier'? (RONR 11th ed. p. 101 ll. 22-23)

An IMM 'does not mark the beginning of a particular involvement of the assembly in a substantive matter, as an original main motion does.' (RONR 11th ed. p. 101 ll. 16-18)

If the motion to request the resignation is defeated, or if the objection to the consideration is sustained, the motion to request the resignation can be renewed at the next session (and every subsequent session assuming the same approach is taken successfully again and again).

So, would there be any sense to adopting the motion, after which the president simply declines to resign? The motion, having been adopted, now cannot be renewed at the next session.

So, would there be any sense to adopting the motion, after which the president simply declines to resign? The motion, having been adopted, now cannot be renewed at the next session, and would likely not be rescinded at subsequent meetings, assuming the president's support level remains high enough.

Although this makes sense from a game-playing point of view, it's hard to imagine in real life. A majority would have to vote to ask the president to resign -- leaving this as an adopted motion in the minutes of the organization -- even though that majority is presumably opposed (perhaps strongly opposed) to the motion asking for the resignation.

Although this makes sense from a game-playing point of view, it's hard to imagine in real life. A majority would have to vote to ask the president to resign -- leaving this as an adopted motion in the minutes of the organization -- even though that majority is presumably opposed (perhaps strongly opposed) to the motion asking for the resignation.

Well, that's a good point. It seems clear that WannaBe's group, or most of them at least, don't want to even consider this, hoping I suppose to make the whole issue of asking for the president's resignation go away, which it will but only for the current session. Just trying to think ahead.

ps. I apparently edited my post as you were posting, to remove the meaningless reference to rescinding. Timing is everything, eh?

So, would there be any sense to adopting the motion, after which the president simply declines to resign? The motion, having been adopted, now cannot be renewed at the next session.

Why couldn't it? After the motion is adopted the assembly would ask the President to resign and he would presumably decline. At that point wouldn't the motion be fully executed and thus could be renewed the next session (whatever good that may do)?

Why couldn't it? After the motion is adopted the assembly would ask the President to resign and he would presumably decline. At that point wouldn't the motion be fully executed and thus could be renewed the next session (whatever good that may do)?

That thought just popped in as your post appeared. So, there isn't even a way to prevent renewal of the motion at later sessions?

So, there isn't even a way to prevent renewal of the motion at later sessions?

I don't think so unless the assembly adopted a Special Rule on the subject or the President ruled the motion out of order as being dilitory (because it is in effect meaningless as he would decline the request) though I suspect that a) it would be Appealed (and should be overturned) and B) would go over like a lead balloon and probably do him more harm than if he just let the assembly deal with it. However, if it was an Original Main Motion its consideration could be objected to and if it was an IMM the Previous Question could be ordered after the motion maker got his time to speak (using the strategy that Josh Martin mentione in post 8 in his response to Trina in this thread).

I'm left wondering about the circumstances in which the 'motion to ask you resign' is/would/could-be an IMM

If I may guess, perhaps in the context of a motion to begin a disciplinary hearing? Or a motion to remove from office, assuming that's allowed in the bylaws?

First, let's distinguish this motion from a request/inquiry. It is not a "Requests and Inquiries" motion because anybody can ask for somebody to resign so it is not a request that requires permission of the assembly as stated on RONR (11th ed.), p. 292, ll. 14-16

Second, adoption of this motion would simply place an assembly on record as asking for a resignation, clearly not binding. The assembly could ask for a plate lunch if they like, provided it was a valid motion.

(We got close to this motion in real life with a proposed motion of "no confidence." I hope none of you were engaged for a group that came close to this type of motion on the evening of a special meeting on 1/19 in Hawaii!)

Third, there are 2 characteristics that would make the motion an incidental main motion, based upon RONR (11th ed.), p. 101, ll. 5-25.

Characteristic 1

The first question is, Does the motion, "propose an action specifically defined under parliamentary law and described by a particular parliamentary term[?]."

If there is an action, what is it? If this motion is adopted, it doesn't really do anything except express the assembly's request for a resignation. The adoption of a resignation, if presented, is a completely different matter.

Thus, we don't meet the first characteristic in RONR.

Characteristic 2

The second question is whether this motion, "does not mark the beginning of a particular involvement of the assembly in a substantive matter, as an original main motion does."

The second characteristic in RONR (11th ed.), p. 101, l. 20-25 provides actions that can be proposed by the incidentali main motions "may" relate to certain items.

This second characteristic is fact dependent.

Summary

We never get to Characteristic 2 because the motion doesn't meet the requirements of Characteristic 1.

Therefore, it is an original main motion and its consideratrion can be objected to.

Archived