The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Changing a Vote

Guest Jeff

Last night at my university's Undergraduate Student Government meeting, I voted in favor of a resolution by a roll call vote which eventually passed.

If I am remembering correctly, anyone can change their vote until the moment that the result of the vote is announced, but I am hoping that I am wrong because I would like to change my vote now, after the result was announced. Changing my vote will not change the outcome, it is just that new information that has come about makes me in no way support this resolution and I do not want to go on record as being in support of it as a better representation of my constituents.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I would like to change my vote now, after the result was announced. Changing my vote will not change the outcome, it is just that new information that has come about makes me in no way support this resolution and I do not want to go on record as being in support of it as a better representation of my constituents.

Sorry, it's too late.

But I think you knew that. What you can do, however, is tell your constituents why you've changed your mind. You might also be able to move to amend or otherwise rescind the adopted motion.

Thank you. I missed that.

And I doubt there will be unanimous consent granted on that one...it was a bit of a blood bath.

Well, it would even be too late for unanimous consent.

2006-21 CHANGING VOTES

Note: This interpretation has been superseded by the 11th edition of RONR (September 2011), which contains a specific rule regarding the time within which a member may change his vote. See RONR (11th ed.), p. 408, l. 21 to p. 409, l. 10; see also p. 48, ll. 28–34.

Archived