The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Role and rights of a committee adviser

lptwigg

Hello all!

I am a committee chair, and my committee, beside the regular members, has an adviser. Her role is not defined in policy, standing rules, or bylaws.

According to Robert's Rules, is there any definition of her boundaries? Is she entitled to come to a committee meeting, vote, and participate in discussion? Or, as an adviser, is she someone that I can call on when I need assistance ,but should not be attending my meetings and voting and participating in discussions?

Thanks for any guidance.

How is the person associated with the organization? For example, in many organizations the President has the right to be an "ex-officio" member of all Committees (except the Nominating Committee.) Some Presidents may view this as a leadership position on the Committee (i.e. to steer what the Committee does) while other may act like an advisor.

I am a committee chair, and my committee, beside the regular members, has an adviser. Her role is not defined in policy, standing rules, or bylaws.

According to Robert's Rules, is there any definition of her boundaries? Is she entitled to come to a committee meeting, vote, and participate in discussion? Or, as an adviser, is she someone that I can call on when I need assistance ,but should not be attending my meetings and voting and participating in discussions?

Since your rules are silent, it is at the committee's discretion whether the person may attend meetings or participate in discussions. Since she is not a member of the committee, she may not vote.

Since your rules are silent, it is at the committee's discretion whether the person may attend meetings or participate in discussions. Since she is not a member of the committee, she may not vote.

If in the course of giving instructions to the committee the appointing assembly directed the committee to allow the advisor (as a consultant) the opportunity to attend meetings, then I believe the committee is obligated to honor this instruction. However, stay tuned.

Archived