The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Influencing votes?

Guest Justin P.

So I have a business meeting coming up and I know for a fact that said person "A" is calling around to try and influence the voters to side with his proposal. I have members of the voting comittee who are willing to "testifie" that said person "A" did indeed try to influence them to side with his side. Is there anything in Robert's Rule on calling said person "A" out, dismissing his proposal, and having him removed from future meetings?

Is there anything in Robert's Rule on calling said person "A" out, dismissing his proposal, and having him removed from future meetings?

Well, there are disciplinary procedures (discussed at length in Chapter XX) that could be applied but RONR has no rule against "campaigning". In fact, encouraging members to vote with you is an essential part of the deliberative process.

(As an aside, I think this hardly qualifies as "Advanced Discussion" so you might expect it to be re-located.)

So I have a business meeting coming up and I know for a fact that said person "A" is calling around to try and influence the voters to side with his proposal. I have members of the voting comittee who are willing to "testifie" that said person "A" did indeed try to influence them to side with his side. Is there anything in Robert's Rule on calling said person "A" out, dismissing his proposal, and having him removed from future meetings?

Are you sure this meeting is governed by Robert's rules? Just feeling some caution about the term 'business meeting'...

From what you've posted, it sounds like person A is doing the right thing, saving time inside the meeting by making his case ahead of time. It seems that your objection to his actions is not founded in parliamentary knowledge.

Archived