The Official RONR Q & A Forums

small board rules expanded

David A Foulkes

A question of curiousity, really. Per the online 4th edition version of Robert's, under small board rules it includes "nor does the chairman leave the chair when making a motion or discussing a question." This clearly relieves the restriction on the chair against making motions and debating. So, when was the ability to vote added?

A question of curiousity, really. Per the online 4th edition version of Robert's, under small board rules it includes "nor does the chairman leave the chair when making a motion or discussing a question." This clearly relieves the restriction on the chair against making motions and debating. So, when was the ability to vote added?

The Sixth "75th Anniversary" Edition (1951) uses the same language you cited (p. 209). (That's the extent of my collection.)

Certainly you're not suggesting that the chair in question doesn't have the right to vote, simply because he's in the chair. In any event, when the chair is allowed to enter into debate, there is no expectation for him to maintain the appearance of impartiality on the motion, so I don't see why there would be an expectation for him to refrain from voting on the question.

Certainly you're not suggesting that the chair in question doesn't have the right to vote, simply because he's in the chair. In any event, when the chair is allowed to enter into debate, there is no expectation for him to maintain the appearance of impartiality on the motion, so I don't see why there would be an expectation for him to refrain from voting on the question.

Ha! You know me. When I first posted, I ended it with "So, when was the right to vote added?" until I caught myself on it. I was just wondering when the language that explicitly included the chair's ability to vote along with everyone else was added. It seems I've gotten my answer. And you raise an interesting point.

Archived