The Official RONR Q & A Forums

can GM order board minutes read again?

Trina

Under the rule on p. 487 ll. 17-20 the general membership can order 'the board's minutes to be produced and read to the society's assembly.'

Thinking about how this might play out, suppose the minutes in question are complicated and controversial (and perhaps there is occasional murmuring during the reading, so some members don't hear every detail). Perhaps several members come in late, and missed part of the reading. For whatever reasons, a number of the members don't hear or absorb everything they want to as the minutes are read.

After the minutes have been read, as ordered by the assembly, can the assembly ask for them to be read again (immediately, at the same meeting)?

Under the rule on p. 487 ll. 17-20 the general membership can order 'the board's minutes to be produced and read to the society's assembly.'

Thinking about how this might play out, suppose the minutes in question are complicated and controversial (and perhaps there is occasional murmuring during the reading, so some members don't hear every detail). Perhaps several members come in late, and missed part of the reading. For whatever reasons, a number of the members don't hear or absorb everything they want to as the minutes are read.

After the minutes have been read, as ordered by the assembly, can the assembly ask for them to be read again (immediately, at the same meeting)?

I can't think of any reason why not.

By means of the same process outlined on p. 487 -- someone basically makes exactly the same motion that was made and adopted earlier in the meeting, and the motion must be adopted a second time?

I think that all that will be necessary is for a member to request the additional reading, and if there is any objection, the assembly can resolve the matter by majority vote.

I think that all that will be necessary is for a member to request the additional reading, and if there is any objection, the assembly can resolve the matter by majority vote.

Does this essentially mean that the motion to have the minutes 'produced and read to the society's assembly' is not considered fully executed until the assembly says it is fully executed, which may entail more than one reading?

Does this essentially mean that the motion to have the minutes 'produced and read to the society's assembly' is not considered fully executed until the assembly says it is fully executed, which may entail more than one reading?

Yes, I think so (although I am usually somewhat hesitant about simply adopting the words of others). :)

Perhaps you're over-thinking this?

Maybe it's as if the assembly asked the piano player to play a song and then, later in the meeting, they asked Sam to play it again.

4fRb6E

Perhaps you're over-thinking this?

Maybe it's as if the assembly asked the piano player to play a song and then, later in the meeting, they asked Sam to play it again.

4fRb6E

This works for me.

Although, if the assembly is not satisfied with the reading for whatever reason, it could be considered not executed.

Archived