The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Notice of a Meeting

Guest Woodman

It is an Annual meeting for the entire organization that does not have a date certain but requires each member whose email address is known to the Secretary to be notified of the meeting 30 days in advance by email to each such member AND requires the notification to be placed in the organization's section of the prior month's Alumni magazine (e.g., to cover those who don't have emails known to the Secretary)

I'm not seeing a specific reference to notification of the date of an annual meeting, either.

P. 4, lines 27 - 29 doesn't specify annual meeting, but I don't think it needs to I think that p. 89, lines 16 - 18, applies, although it's in the subsection about regular meetings.

(Still not Tim)

I'm not seeing a specific reference to notification of the date of an annual meeting, either.

P. 4, lines 27 - 29 doesn't specify annual meeting, but I don't think it needs to I think that p. 89, lines 16 - 18, applies, although it's in the subsection about regular meetings.

(Still not Tim)

In this case it is the bylaws, according to the original poster, that are requiring notice. However, in such a situation, even without a specific bylaw provision covering the topic, RONR (11th ed.), p. 89, ll. 10-15 would apply.

Note that an annual meeting IS a regular meeting. See p. 576, ll. 1-3.

(Still not Tim)

Even if it doesn't apply Gary, what difference does it make? It's their rule which protects absentees IMO....and its violation is a fatal flaw. RONR, p.251 e.

Guest James W. Johnson

In our Bylaws, under FIXING OF RECORD DATE, that date was "not less than ten days prior to the date" of the election. On the night of the annual election, 38 people of 88 members were allowed to pay dues and vote. Doesn't this violate the bylaws? Does RRO address FIXING OF RECORD DATE?

Thank you... j

In our Bylaws, under FIXING OF RECORD DATE, that date was "not less than ten days prior to the date" of the election. On the night of the annual election, 38 people of 88 members were allowed to pay dues and vote. Doesn't this violate the bylaws? Does RRO address FIXING OF RECORD DATE?

Thank you... j

If your bylaws use this term, hopefully they define the term (either explicitly, or by context). RONR doesn't say anything about 'fixing of record date.'

Also, for future reference, it's best to ask a new question as a new topic (i.e. start your own thread), rather than appending to an existing -- and largely unrelated -- question.

As far as RONR is concerned, members are members, and immediately have the rights of membership.

Archived