The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Meeting notes

Guest Ivan

Can either of you two cite where in Roberts Rules this is listed? If not can you tell me what you base it on?

I am a board member of an organization, and had requested to get our approved budget inserted into the minutes.

It only makes sense to have it in there, but not knowing for sure, this seems like the correct forum to seek answers.

Thank you

Ivan

Yes I can tell Ivan and yes since an adopted motion is included in in the minutes in its entirety the budget in its entirety would go in the minutes.

If the motion is "to adopt the budget as presented", why would the whole thing go in? In this thread http://robertsrules.forumflash.com/index.php?/topic/14414-motions-adopted/ there didn't seem to be disagreement that the text of a contract need not be put in when the motion is simply to approve it.

Not rhetorical.

Can either of you two cite where in Roberts Rules this is listed?

RONR p. 469 #6

If the motion is "to adopt the budget as presented", why would the whole thing go in? In this thread http://robertsrules....otions-adopted/ there didn't seem to be disagreement that the text of a contract need not be put in when the motion is simply to approve it.

Well I think that even with the motion worded that way that the budget should still end up in the minutes (although in order to keep the minutes as uncluttered as possible I wouldn't be opposed to the budget being made an appendix which the reader can be parenthetically referred to). However, I will defer to those older and wiser than me though with something like this I would strongly encourage the Secretary keep a copy of the adopted budget filed close to the minutes in case a member wants to see what exactly they approved.

Well I think that even with the motion worded that way that the budget should still end up in the minutes (although in order to keep the minutes as uncluttered as possible I wouldn't be opposed to the budget being made an appendix which the reader can be parenthetically referred to). However, I will defer to those older and wiser than me though with something like this I would strongly encourage the Secretary keep a copy of the adopted budget filed close to the minutes in case a member wants to see what exactly they approved.

I asked something similar in the thread Mr. Mervosh referred to (whether the contract should be filed with the minutes), but I was satisfied with his response (just replace "contract" with "budget" for this situation):

Well the Secretary has to keep this stuff anyway, so with, without, as long as the Secretary has the contract is all that matters.

Archived