The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Reconsideration

Guest Chris

I'm not sure a motion to suspend the rules would.

Is that because the purpose of suspend the rules is 'to suspend one or more rules... that interfere with a proposed action' (RONR 11th ed. p. 261 ll. 23-26); whereas in the this case the goal is really to suspend a rule which normally allows a certain action (i.e. a motion to reconsider)?

Is that because the purpose of suspend the rules is 'to suspend one or more rules... that interfere with a proposed action' (RONR 11th ed. p. 261 ll. 23-26); whereas in the this case the goal is really to suspend a rule which normally allows a certain action (i.e. a motion to reconsider)?

The motion to reconsider could be made anytime during the duration of the session assuming it doesn't cover more than this meeting and the next.....I don't think suspend the rules can cover the rest of the session. A special rule of order (which can later be rescinded) certainly can.

The motion to reconsider could be made anytime during the duration of the session assuming it doesn't cover more than this meeting and the next.....I don't think suspend the rules can cover the rest of the session. A special rule of order (which can later be rescinded) certainly can.

Ah... that makes more sense. The line of argument I was hypothesizing did seem pretty thin.

Just wondering if the fact that this is (apparently) a legislative body means anything here, especially as regards to the authority RONR might have. Seems the phrase "foreclose reconsideration" shows up a lot in search results that are legal in nature, and may have a different meaning than what it appears on the surface.

Assume that a resolution is passed by a due and proper vote of the legislative body. Can the body then vote to foreclose reconsideration of that resolution for the duration of the meeting?

The way to accomplish what you want to accomplish, using the rules in RONR, is to move to Reconsider the vote immediately following the chair's announcement of the result. The motion to Reconsider will surely be promply rejected, and thereafter it cannot be renewed except by unanimous consent.

Some of our posters may have in mind the practice of the House in immediately laying the motion to Reconsider on the table by unanimous consent (which under its rules kills the motion to Reconsider for the remainder of the session, as I recall), but that is based on its rules, not on the rules in RONR.

The way to accomplish what you want to accomplish, using the rules in RONR, is to move to Reconsider the vote immediately following the chair's announcement of the result. The motion to Reconsider will surely be promply rejected, and thereafter it cannot be renewed except by unanimous consent.

"it" being the motion to Reconsider? Or is "it" the original vote? And can I have a reference for my own study and education? Want to make sure I'm following the discussion correctly. Thanks.

My understanding is he doesn't want it made at all..........

Well, you can't prevent someone from making it, at least not without an even higher vote threshold than simply making it and defeating it. So that remains the most effiective method of preventing it from actually being changed by reconsideration.

Just wondering if the fact that this is (apparently) a legislative body means anything here, especially as regards to the authority RONR might have.

Well, the fact that this is a legislative body, in and of itself, doesn't affect the application of RONR, but it's quite likely that the body has its own customized rules or applicable laws on the subject, which would supersede RONR.

Seems the phrase "foreclose reconsideration" shows up a lot in search results that are legal in nature, and may have a different meaning than what it appears on the surface.

Yes, it does seem that the term "foreclose reconsideration" is a term which is properly applied to the courts, and this seems to be a case where an individual has mistakenly started applying it to parliamentary procedure (much like how we often see posters use terms such as "recuse").

Archived