The Official RONR Q & A Forums

differnt types of votes

Guest David

What are the differnt kinds of votes i can call for , Iwant to call for a roll call vote can I ,and how do i do this

Well I doubt you can do this, but I'm not sure what powers and authorities you have in your organization. A careful read of page 420 (RONR 11th Ed.) and the following pages should give you understanding of whether a roll-call vote is appropriate, or perhaps even dilatory, as well as how it can be ordered (by the assembly if no rule exists requiring it) and how to execute it. A few more facts might help get you a different answer.

Our congregation holds its annual meeting in January, notice is sent to all members of meeting and of topics to be discussed. When in the annual meeting and the agenda has been formally accepted with two items of business:

1. election f new board members

2. approval of the budget for the new year. and no other business was on the agenda.

the business was dealt with according to the agenda, and then an individual rises and is recognized by the chair. The individual makes a motion that the congregation reverse a very controversial action taken in the annual meeting in January 2010's meeting. This action had been handled "legally" the year before in that it had been in the notification in 2011 that the issue wold be voted on.

This was not on the agenda, and it had not been publicized that it would be discussed. The chair allowed the vote to occur although caution was given that it should not be, since it was not on the agenda. Many individuals who had great interest in that topic would have been there had there been notification of it's coming to the floor for a vote. The chair allowed the vote and it passed by 16 votes to reverse the action in prior years meeting. Many people are upset that this was allowed t occur.

Was this action out of order and if so, what is the remedy?

Thanks

Sally, I hate to ask this, but since this is a very new thread by Guest_David, and there may be more responses from other posters here, it would be best if you posted your question as a new one. That way, the answers to Guest_David's question and your question don't become muddled, and you can have 100% focus for answers on your topic in your very own thread.

------------

Edit: you can follow Guest_Sally's post here.

In the absence of statute, bylaw or a special rule establishing a lower threshold, "a majority vote is required to order the taking of a vote by roll call - in which case a motion to do so is likely to be useless, since its purpose is to force the majority to go on record." (p. 420, l.16 - 19.).

Archived