The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Elections

Guest Helen Bertrand

This is when the Vice President or Secretary (in that order) need to "step-up". They can run the meetings and take the place of the President until one steps forward.

Now if this continues and if the membership is open to the idea, maybe two people could be Co-Presidents or Co- chairpersons of the organization. I have done that with a member that did not have a work schedule that allowed them the time to be the sole President. The membership was open to us sharing the office (I was already the Vice President) knowing I work from home and the other person travels. It has worked well for a couple years.

I hope this helps.

This is when the Vice President or Secretary (in that order) need to "step-up". They can run the meetings and take the place of the President until one steps forward.

Not exactly.

Now if this continues and if the membership is open to the idea, maybe two people could be Co-Presidents or Co- chairpersons of the organization. I have done that with a member that did not have a work schedule that allowed them the time to be the sole President. The membership was open to us sharing the office .

Unless you amended your bylaws to allow for "co-presidents" it doesn't matter how open the membership is to the idea, you can't do it.

Actually, if you have a Vice President, then that person would become President if there is no President. So why will the Vice President not step up and become President.

Not every vice-president wants to be president and perhaps both terms (president and vice-president) are expiring at the same time, in which case the vice-president would not become the president.

Not every vice-president wants to be president and perhaps both terms (president and vice-president) are expiring at the same time, in which case the vice-president would not become the president.

I was thinking that if the election of the President brings forth no nominees whatsoever, it would be an incomplete election, and not a vacancy wherein the VP would ascend to that office.

-------

Edited to add the assumption that no write-in votes (if any) elect a person who does not subsequently decline.

If an organization has no members running for president and the incumbent does not want to run how is the organization to function?

What do the bylaws say about term of office? It could be that the President remains in office, regardless of his lack of interest in "running" again. Per RONR, if the term of office for officers is stated as something like "for X years, (and/or) until their successors are elected", he may be still the President after the non-election until another person is elected by subsequent balloting.

What do the bylaws say about term of office? It could be that the President remains in office, regardless of his lack of interest in "running" again. Per RONR, if the term of office for officers is stated as something like "for X years, (and/or) until their successors are elected", he may be still the President after the non-election until another person is elected by subsequent balloting.

Does it make a difference whether the bylaws say "… or until their successors are elected" or "… and until their successors are elected" in this case?

Does it make a difference whether the bylaws say "… or until their successors are elected" or "… and until their successors are elected" in this case?

No, not in this case. The distinction between the two only matters in relation to discipline of officers. See FAQ #20 for more information.

A summary:

First check the bylaws. Officers (current ones) may be in office "until the election of their successors" - if no election, they STAY in (at least until they quit or you finally do complete the election).

Or....

Announce that because of a lack of leadership interest, the organization will dissolve itself and go out of business. Really. Organizations don't last forever, and it is much better to close up shop formally than just drift along, and then wonder what happened to the bank account, far too long after the fact to do anything about it.

Often enough a threat like this one will shake some people out of the woodwork who will be willing to serve after all. But if it doesn't, there is a message there...

You might also consider WHY no one wants to be president. Perhaps you're asking too much of that position. Perhaps the past presidents have made the job appear more difficult than it has to be. Perhaps the members are making it harder on the president than they should.

Perhaps the board should be doing more. After all, the only essential role of the president is to preside at meetings. Some or all administrative responsibilities could be delegated to, or distributed among, the board members.

I don't understand how if the bylaws say a term of office is 2 yrs OR until the successor is elected that is the same as saying 2 yrs AND until the successor is elected.

In the former, it seems there is a choice, one OR the other will end the term. And I understand how this can come into play reference FAQ20. But it seems that after the 2 yrs, one of the conditions is met, and "OR" indicated only one must be met.

In the latter, "AND" seems to indicate both conditions must be met, so if there is no elected successor, the person may still be in office.

Help a brother out with a cite??

because p 573, ll28ff indicates it does matter...

Archived