The Official RONR Q & A Forums

need recommendations on member offer

MSH

Our nonprofit voted in Nov. 2011 to pay the membership dues for a contractor doing work at our place. The vote was for a $50 prorated membership. Prorated memberships are from Dec. 1st to Mar. 31st. The contractor did not apply for this prorated membership.

In Feb., 2012, the contractor is now applying for an annual membership of $70. Some members feel the contractor should pay the difference since he failed to act on the prorated offer. Some feel that we agreed in principal to pay for the membership in full. Some don't like the contractor and want the offer rescinded.

(If the contractor had followed through on the Prorated dues offer in Dec, he would now be paying $45 for 12 months membership)

I have researched my copy of the Robert's Rules Book and am getting confused.

What I have so far: With notice, a majority can rescind

Without notice, 2/3rds approval is needed to rescind.

Votes cannot be rescinded after the oparty has been informed of the fact, like a contract.

It appears that amending the original motion to include provision of who pays the extra $20 membership fee (us or the contractor) would be the best way to go.

Any ideas?

Any ideas?

Did the motion to pay the contractor's dues state that you would pay his dues forever? If not there may be nothing to rescind or amend (and note that rescinding is just an extreme form of amending).

In other words, it depends on the precise wording of the motion that was adopted.

Our nonprofit voted in Nov. 2011 to pay the membership dues for a contractor doing work at our place. The vote was for a $50 prorated membership. Prorated memberships are from Dec. 1st to Mar. 31st. The contractor did not apply for this prorated membership.

In Feb., 2012, the contractor is now applying for an annual membership of $70. Some members feel the contractor should pay the difference since he failed to act on the prorated offer. Some feel that we agreed in principal to pay for the membership in full. Some don't like the contractor and want the offer rescinded.

(If the contractor had followed through on the Prorated dues offer in Dec, he would now be paying $45 for 12 months membership)

I have researched my copy of the Robert's Rules Book and am getting confused.

What I have so far: With notice, a majority can rescind

Without notice, 2/3rds approval is needed to rescind.

Votes cannot be rescinded after the oparty has been informed of the fact, like a contract.

It appears that amending the original motion to include provision of who pays the extra $20 membership fee (us or the contractor) would be the best way to go.

Any ideas?

If I understand the original motion, it was to offer the contractor the opportunity to apply for a prorated membership, on the organization's nickel. The contractor did not take you up on the offer. He is now applying for membership under different terms (not prorated).

If the time during which he could have taken you up on the offer has expired (and I'm not quite clear on that from your description, although you seem to say he would have had to act in December) then there's no need to rescind or amend anything.

All this stuff about 'in principle we agreed to pay for his full membership' or 'I don't like the guy, and don't want to pay for his membership at all' could come out in debate on a new motion to pay all (or some fraction) of his membership fees.

Archived