The Official RONR Q & A Forums

special action

Guest Ken

When the executive committee is listening to sub committee reports ultimately for adption it has become common for members of the committee to ask for special action on specific actions of the sub committee instead of adopting the entire report. Is this proper or should all discusion take place in the parameters of the original motion to adopt the report?

When the executive committee is listening to sub committee reports ultimately for adption it has become common for members of the committee to ask for special action on specific actions of the sub committee instead of adopting the entire report. Is this proper or should all discusion take place in the parameters of the original motion to adopt the report?

Firstly, the "entire report" should not be adopted.

Secondly, any motion(s) arising from the report are subject to amendment and (possibly) division.

I'm not sure what "special action" means but I suspect it's not a term found in RONR.

Maybe this is there attempt of amending certain action items of the sub committee. I too believe that special action does not exist but this is a "way of doing business" that was started before I became a member of the executive committee. I want to do things properly to expedite the meetings because all the special actions extend the meeting unecessarily. Are you saying that every action item of a sub committee report has to be approved individually by the executive committee?

Are you saying that every action item of a sub committee report has to be approved individually by the executive committee?

Not "has to be" but "could be". Sometimes the division requires a majority vote, sometimes only the demand of a single member.

See RONR for "Division of a Question" for the fine print.

Archived