The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Reconsideration of an Election

Sean Hunt

Suppose that an election is held with multiple available seats. Candidates A and B were elected by a majority. Which of the following is the correct application of the motion to Reconsider?

1. The entire vote must be Reconsidered at once, and a motion to do so may be made only by someone who voted for both A and B.
  2. The entire vote must be Reconsidered at once, and a motion to do so may be made by anyone who voted for either A or B.
  3. The individual winners' elections must be Reconsidered separately; a motion for both is not in order, and when they are adopted, the election proceeds as if it were incomplete, one candidate at a time.
  4. The individual winners' elections may be Reconsidered separately or as a whole; when adopted, the election proceeds as if it were incomplete.

I'd lean for #4 myself, but I don't see any text particularly encouraging any interpretation.

Suppose that an election is held with multiple available seats. Candidates A and B were elected by a majority. Which of the following is the correct application of the motion to Reconsider?

1. The entire vote must be Reconsidered at once, and a motion to do so may be made only by someone who voted for both A and B.
  2. The entire vote must be Reconsidered at once, and a motion to do so may be made by anyone who voted for either A or B.
  3. The individual winners' elections must be Reconsidered separately; a motion for both is not in order, and when they are adopted, the election proceeds as if it were incomplete, one candidate at a time.
  4. The individual winners' elections may be Reconsidered separately or as a whole; when adopted, the election proceeds as if it were incomplete.

I'd lean for #4 myself, but I don't see any text particularly encouraging any interpretation.

If Candidates A and B are not present and have not previously consented to serve, #4 is correct. Otherwise, their election may not be reconsidered.

If Candidates A and B are not present and have not previously consented to serve, #4 is correct. Otherwise, their election may not be reconsidered.

Sorry, I did mean to add that the motion is in a situation where it can be reconsidered. Also, if they have given consent, can't the motion still be reconsidered until they are informed of the outcome?

Archived