The Official RONR Q & A Forums

written answers to written questions submitted to the HOA board

Guest Serge Lapare

Can I as a homeowner in a HOA community expect the board of directors (through our management company) to provide me written answers with applicable legal statutes to my written questions to the board? I am having an ongoing conflict with our HOA board and the president specifically. When I ask questions, whether verbally at a board meeting or via e-mail, the president is normally the only person who replies and he does so in a vague manner without citing any legal references to back up his answers. Is that acceptable behavior and do I have any recourse since our board states they operate under Robert's Rules?

Can I as a homeowner in a HOA community expect the board of directors (through our management company) to provide me written answers with applicable legal statutes to my written questions to the board?

RONR doesn't bestow any such expectation on you. However, check the HOA bylaws and any applicable rules and laws to see what they say on the subject.

Guest Carole A. Vivace-Schroth

The President of our social club is running for another term and is on the ballot. I am past president, in charge of the nominating commitee, printing of ballots, and always in the past the past president also choose the tellers and over seers. This President is fighting to choose tellers and over seers quoting there is nothing in writing that she can not do that.

The President of our social club is running for another term and is on the ballot. I am past president, in charge of the nominating commitee, printing of ballots, and always in the past the past president also choose the tellers and over seers. This President is fighting to choose tellers and over seers quoting there is nothing in writing that she can not do that.

Please start a 'new topic' with your new question, as this has nothing to do with Mr. Lapare's HOA question. That avoids confusion, and allows posters to better focus on your question.

I think it's sort-a like when the Chair, under certain circumstance, can assume the motion.

Well, I assume someone's going to have to break the bad news to Past President Vivace-Schroth that not only is there nothing in writing that says the president can't choose the tellers, there's something in writing that says he can and should.

Can I as a homeowner in a HOA community expect the board of directors (through our management company) to provide me written answers with applicable legal statutes to my written questions to the board? I am having an ongoing conflict with our HOA board and the president specifically. When I ask questions, whether verbally at a board meeting or via e-mail, the president is normally the only person who replies and he does so in a vague manner without citing any legal references to back up his answers. Is that acceptable behavior and do I have any recourse since our board states they operate under Robert's Rules?

Is there no why of you receiving a copy of the legislation covering your HOA? Either for free online or for a fee. You cannot really expect the Board to provide you with a free course on the law. If you read up the Act yourself, you will probably learn most of what you want to know about legal issues in the HOA. As for the the written responses, drop the "what does the law say angle" and go for the "here is why we made the decision answer." If answers are vague, then ask for a clear response.

Archived