The Official RONR Q & A Forums

By law change

Guest sr

We have had a commitee working on changing our by-laws -- they state it must be done every 3 years. They have made updates they felt necessary. We have approved them and now must get approval of the membership. Warned the meeting as by-laws state. So now my question is can these by-laws be changed at the meeting or they kinda an all or nothing thing? Something simple like wording "we will" change to "we can" is that allowed?

it was not listed as a full revision of them

Just --ratify by-laws

so does this mean that we can't vote on them at the meeting because they weren't warned as a total revision?

No no no.....you asked about how they could be amended at the meeting, before you vote.....that's all I addressed.

I suspect your best bet would be to buy a copy of RONR 11th edition. Be sure you get "The Right Book"

Also a copy of RONRIB:

"Roberts Rules of Order Newly Revised In Brief", Updated Second Edition (Da Capo Press, Perseus Books Group, 2011). It is a splendid summary of all the rules you will really need in all but the most exceptional situations. And only $7.50! You can read it in an evening.

Your "pocket RRO" sounds like it is either very old or a rip-off of the (uncopywritable) title.

Archived