The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Do non-committee members have any right to speak at meeting

Guest loose

Decision-making is in the hands of the board in our organization. It's a city government agency sort of - a citizen group, so we rank-and-file members feel that we ought to be allowed to attend board meetings, unless we get shut out by executive session.

I understand that people who are not members of the board are not entitled to participate in the board's decision-making, but do the rank-and-file members of the organization have any right to say anything at these meetings - if so, when? - or do they have to wait until the annual membership meeting? (If you're going to tell me that I can write the board a memo or letter or give the secretary a phone call - these communications are never relayed to the board by the officers/Not a Robert's problem, I realize.)

do they have to wait until the annual membership meeting?

You can always try buttonholing a board member when their meeting is over and ask if there's a convenient time for the two of you to meet and discuss what's on your mind. If you can convince him you represent a significant number of members and he's interested in being re-elected he's likely to at least pretend to listen. Offer to buy him a beer.

Archived