The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Standing Committee, Board or Commission

Watson

[RONR is the parliamentary authority.] My city's Municipal Code creates Standing Committees, Boards, and Commissions in addition to the Common Council which, along with the Mayor, is the main governing body.

What is the difference between a Standing Committee, a Board and a Commission. Why is there a need for all three?

Well, you can see that the committees would have very little independence, but the boards (water board, education, &c) might just be assigned areas to cover and then let go to cover them, under the authority of the common council, yes (Sections 49 and 50)?

And I can fairly confidently tell you that RONR does not cover commissions, so you can at least not waste time looking in it for information about them. (Consulting on the Internet, sure, for what good it'll do.)

[RONR is the parliamentary authority.] My city's Municipal Code creates Standing Committees, Boards, and Commissions in addition to the Common Council which, along with the Mayor, is the main governing body.

What is the difference between a Standing Committee, a Board and a Commission. Why is there a need for all three?

From a parliamentary standpoint, a committee is NOT a deliberative assembly; a board is a deliberative assembly; and a commission may be, depending on its characteristics.

The only need for the three would come from a provision in the governing documents.

Archived