The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Calling a meeting

Guest ER

According to RONR, what are the procedures for calling a meeting? Our organization's constitution and bylaws do not give any specifics.

If your bylaws don't provide for regular meetings, your best bet is to amend the bylaws. Your second best bet is to schedule board meetings by adopting a motion at the general membership meeting.

If special meetings are not authorized in the bylaws, you cannot call them.

Our constitution and bylaws do not have a process whatsoever for calling for any type of meetings. I ask because our board is divided at the moment and two of our four members are attempting to stall the organization. I am trying to figure out through RONR how I can prevent them from doing this. Our regular membership meetings are set. But they are trying to stop us from having Executive Board and Leadership Team (elected and appointed members) meetings.

Our constitution and bylaws do not have a process whatsoever for calling for any type of meetings. I ask because our board is divided at the moment and two of our four members are attempting to stall the organization. I am trying to figure out through RONR how I can prevent them from doing this. Our regular membership meetings are set. But they are trying to stop us from having Executive Board and Leadership Team (elected and appointed members) meetings.

Presumably you have had some Executive Board meetings at some point (?) -- how were those arranged? Do the bylaws give any guidance about board meetings at all (e.g. 'meet monthly', 'meet at least 6 times per year', anything that implies the board should be meeting on a regular basis?).

How often does the general membership meet? One way out, if the board is non-functional at the moment, would be for the general membership to either 1) amend the bylaws to clarify when the board's regular meetings are to occur, or how those meetings are to be scheduled; OR 2) adopt a motion setting a meeting schedule for the board, and tell the board to comply with it.

I just read back over the earlier posts, and see that Mr. Wynn already said pretty much the same thing as my previous paragraph... well, I agree with what he said :) .

Why are members of the board trying to prevent meetings and 'stall the organization'? If these members are refusing to do a job they were elected to do, perhaps disciplinary action is in order.

What about this Leadership Team... is that defined in the bylaws? Or is it, instead, some sort of committee? The proper way to call meetings of the 'Leadership Team' depends on what this body is and how it was established.

FInally, to reiterate what several others have said, if the bylaws do not say you can have special meetings, you can't have them. If the members of the organization believe that it would be a good idea to have the option of calling special meetings, the bylaws should be amended to allow them, and to specify the process of calling them.

One way out, if the board is non-functional at the moment, would be for the general membership to either 1) amend the bylaws to clarify when the board's regular meetings are to occur, or how those meetings are to be scheduled; OR 2) adopt a motion setting a meeting schedule for the board, and tell the board to comply with it.

Or 3) Adopt a motion scheduling one meeting for the board and empowering the board to set its own schedule for future meetings.

Or 3) Adopt a motion scheduling one meeting for the board and empowering the board to set its own schedule for future meetings.

Is this part to be included in the motion you propose, or would it require a separate adoption of another motion? And would this then create a standing rule, or special rule of order, or........?

Archived